Changed Fuel Filters - rough run after sitting now - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 10:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed Fuel Filters - rough run after sitting now

I just cahnged my oil and fuel filters for my '03 Excursion 6.0L. I followed the procedure and turned the key on/off 6 times. It ran fine. The next morning after sittng for 8+ hours it idled rough then ran fine after 2-3 minutes. I am thinking air in the fuel line. It ran great all day no problems. It sat at work for 8+ hours and did the same thing. The next morning the same result. It is apparent to me there is air in the fuel system but once it starts running fine I would think it had purged all the air out.

Does it take 3-5 days to purge it all out? Is there something I missed? FF caps are tight and there are no apparent leaks.

Any ideas?

THanks
SHawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i can see it cranking and runing rough for a few seconds the first time , but not this long , if it only runs rough cold after sitting awhile , you might have something else going on, has it had the latest reclibration for cold start rough idle , if not may want to get it reprogrammed
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM

I think it has the latest cal. It was running perfect before I changed the oil anf fuel filters. It only started after this.
THanks
Shawn
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

did you use aftermarket filters or ford filters, reason i ask is i had one the other day towed in , absolutly wouldnt start , passed all tests ,except had no fuel pressure , would not fill upper filter housing , guy said it ran good until he changed filters , then didnt run right and finally shut , caps were tight , no leaks , removed lower filter on frame replaced it with a ford filter and it started up and ran fine , no obvious reason , cant say thats your problem ,but a quick fuel pressure test would tell ya pretty quick
Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 AM

I installed Baldwin filters. They appeared to be identical to what was replaced. I was wondering if the filter was causing a problem. The odd thing is that after 2-3 minutes of rough running it is fine. It acts like there is slow air leak. It's possible the filter is restricting it but it seems odd that it would clear up within 2-3 minutes. That's what has me wondering what it is.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthompson134 View Post
I installed Baldwin filters. They appeared to be identical to what was replaced. I was wondering if the filter was causing a problem. The odd thing is that after 2-3 minutes of rough running it is fine. It acts like there is slow air leak. It's possible the filter is restricting it but it seems odd that it would clear up within 2-3 minutes. That's what has me wondering what it is.
if it had an air leak it wouldnt clear up at all i dont think, its bad to say ,and i usually have something in my head ive run into to help you out , if it was in front of me i could figure it out , but without looking at the truck its hard to say , do you have a means of getting codes pulled , might want to do that , i still think it would be a good idea to get a fuel pressure test run
Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Scuffy828,

Thanks for all the help. I will check into getting the pressure test run. I also will look for a way to get codes pulled. I just bought the truck about 1 1/2 months ago so there may be other codes there. One thing I noticed when putting the frame rail filter in was that the filter did not want to stay in the cap very well with the retention clips. Is is possible it is not secured enough?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthompson134 View Post
Scuffy828,

Thanks for all the help. I will check into getting the pressure test run. I also will look for a way to get codes pulled. I just bought the truck about 1 1/2 months ago so there may be other codes there. One thing I noticed when putting the frame rail filter in was that the filter did not want to stay in the cap very well with the retention clips. Is is possible it is not secured enough?
you might want to get ford filter and try it , it should be tight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.