Rev-X - Hero to Zero? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rev-X - Hero to Zero?

I have been having issues with hard starts, rough idle and major hesitation / violent shaking at times when truck goes in to overdrive. Truck drives ok when not in overdrive and rpms>2000. Also, my mpg dropped signifcantly (~5 mpg) during this time as well. I have not had any codes per my scangauge. I searched a lot and seems to be rather common with various causes and various solutions but seems like injectors & stiction is primary reason.

I 1st tried adding deisel kleen - no change

Next I changed oil from 15w40 to 5w40 synthetic. i ran this for ~2 tanks of gas - no change

When I had 1/4 tank left, I added rev-x and their fuel treatment then filled up with gas. I didn't notice anything for 1/4 tank but then all the issues went away. It began starting much easier, idle fine and no more issues with hesitation. I was absolutely AMAZED at the results.!

however, the results didn't last. I went on road trip to the beach, filled up at ~1/4 tank then after another 1/4 tank (exactly 1 tank from when all the problems disappeared) all of the probelems returned. I was almost all the way to the beach when issues began. On the way there I averaged 19.5 mpg. On the way home (exact same route) I averaged 15 mpg.

Since I tried adding diesel kleen - no change & i went back to place I got gas from when all the problems disappeared - no change.

I am completely at a loss for how everything disappeared and went back to normal for 1 tank of gas. The only difference that I have not been able to repeat or test for that one tank of gas was the rev-x fuel treatment. I can't imagine this made all the difference and if so - WOW but there also must be something else going on

Any Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
I've been saying for the longest time...that while Rev-X works great initially...IT'S ONLY A BAND AID!!! For some reason, people still swear by it. I learned from first hand experience that it's only a temporary fix for a real issue. You have an injector that's going out...Rev-X claims to solve the "stiction" issue..but it's only a temp fix. A bad injector is a bad injector.

So hook your truck up to a scan tool and run a contribution test as well as a power balance test on your injectors...if it's not that...then check the voltage of your FICM. If it's below 48v...it's bad. Don't waste any more money on Rev-X...unless you enjoy prolonging the inevitable!

Good Luck bro!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats why I do not like to use mechanic-in the can products once used you have to keep useing them. Each time ya change the oil or burn out the tank of fuel ya gotta put another one in. As stated find the actual problem and fix the problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the feedback. I checked FICM and it looks good. I installed cumulative misfire codes in to my scangauge. It was able to ctach 1 on injector #7 one time but normally the values just stay at 0, but I heard others haven't had mutch luck with this xgauge anyhow so not putting much stock in to it.

i guess next step is to take it in to get tested for injectors.

Still confused as to why in the world it worked so great for 1 tank of gas or ~800 miles then all of the sudden back to the way it was. The Rev-x is still in my oil. What could have made the injectors start working then stop again?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Add all the FUEL treatments you want. It wont cure cold starts.

Add 2 bottles of this to your Engine OIL

About | REV-X Products, Inc.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 AM

If your injectors are bad no amount of Rev X or anyother band aid is going to fix them. I think this is where people get confussed the most. I had a 7.3 that would run like crap on cold startups and after 15 miles ran like a champ. Then about halfway through the day it would start missing and the truck would have rough starts on takeoff and the fuel mileage would crap out. This was intermittent and did it some days and some not at all. Turns out I had two bad injectors that were in the process of going bad but not bad all the way. Replaced them and now my work truck runs like a champ. Rev X is a good product but think of it as something you add as a preventative measure not as something that you are trying to fix that is already broken.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't disagree at all - especially now. Next step is to run diagnosis and replace injector based on feedback and additional searching.

Still doesn't change my curiosity of how in the world it ran great for 800 miles. As an engineer not knowing is goign to drive me crazy. those where the only 800 miles it has run good over the course of thousands of miles. the method i did everything makes it a slim chance that it was coincidence. The rev-x oil additive and fuel treatment did something - although temporary, just wondering what happened to make it work then not work....
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Rev X oil additive is a friction modifier along with a potassium and boron based detergent.

That should help your engineer side figure things out
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rev-x in the oil cleans the gunk off of the spool valve. I believe this. Also if the injector itself is damaged, once stiction starts it doesn't take long for this to happen, then there is nothing but a new injector will fix it. I believe that Rev-x does exactly WHAT IT SAYS, unfortunately most injectors are to far gone for it to help for extended periods of time. I used it with Rotella T6 5w-40 and it fixed my issue, from the seat of my pants. I had my injectors flow tested and they where not flowing enough on the high side. So I got a new set of injectors, they lasted 196k miles on them so they held their own.

Sent from my tab using the keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.