Cold start issues. Should I plug in??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold start issues. Should I plug in???

I have a 2004 f350 6.0 bone stock, egde insight is all. 126,000 miles and she runs like a top when warm. After sitting all night I'll walk out, cycle the glow plugs 1 time and fire her up. She will stumble for a minute then clear up. When I check the codes it throws p0671. I will erase the code and it won't throw it all day, until the next morning after sitting all night. Also after first cold start, through out the rest of the day it starts perfect, no stumble nothing. If its a glow plug, are the tricky to replace?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleu890 View Post
I have a 2004 f350 6.0 bone stock, egde insight is all. 126,000 miles and she runs like a top when warm. After sitting all night I'll walk out, cycle the glow plugs 1 time and fire her up. She will stumble for a minute then clear up. When I check the codes it throws p0671. I will erase the code and it won't throw it all day, until the next morning after sitting all night. Also after first cold start, through out the rest of the day it starts perfect, no stumble nothing. If its a glow plug, are the tricky to replace?

P0671 GPCM Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit Circuit open, short to ground, short to voltage, faulty glow plug
Do you have the Edge CTS or the older Edge like mine, the CTS will tell FICM voltage need 45v but should be 48v don't think it is a glow plug may be wrong check wires to number 1
May want to check the FICM because weak or bad battteries will kill it.
FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair My choice or here
6.0 DIESEL POWERSTROKE FORD FUEL INJECTOR CONTROL MODULE FICM F250-550 ECONOLINE | eBay
Info here http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...FICM_Guide.pdf
and here http://swampsdiesel.com/site/install...ge_Testing.pdf
Testing the FICM
2 stroker
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM

I have the cts ficm at cold start is 42-45 but after about a min of running goes up to 48-49! Battery voltage ranges from 13.4- 14.4 mainly higher 13's. Also when it gets cold should I plug it in? I've been told by a friend that 6.0's get lazy if you plug them in. The. When ever its cold and you don't plug it in, it won't want to start

Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I have the cts ficm at cold start is 42-45 but after about a min of running goes up to 48-49! Battery voltage ranges from 13.4- 14.4 mainly higher 13's. Also when it gets cold should I plug it in? I've been told by a friend that 6.0's get lazy if you plug them in. The. When ever its cold and you don't plug it in, it won't want to start

I think you are starting to have FICM problems that is the first signs low voltage plus by plugging it in helps the cold start do some reading here Swampsdiesel is a good one.
here http://swampsdiesel.com/site/install...ge_Testing.pdf

2 stroker
Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM

Is it true that 6.0's get lazy if you plug them in though? Like once you plug them in, the truck won't want to start in cold temps unless it's plugged in?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
trucks dont think, they either do or dont. they cant get lazy. if you are having a cold start issue its got to be something else. on a side note, i always plug my truck in with a timer when it gets below freezing. just easier on the engine.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:47 PM

I don't know haha. I know my truck hates me sometimes! But thanks I just heard that and wasn't sure if it was true or not! Thanks for all your help.
Does the low voltage mean I need a new one or is it still possible to have it rebuilt?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Also if the ficm is going bad, will the voltage be that low for every start through out the day? Because when I start her warm the voltage is right around 48-49 volts

Old 02-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Also if the ficm is going bad, will the voltage be that low for every start through out the day? Because when I start her warm the voltage is right around 48-49 volts

You be the judge when cold low voltage when warm high voltage
Ed at FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair is the man he will update parts as needed give him a call, he is on the forum sometime. Ford wants $1100 to $1400 so i would go to Ed.
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.