Whistling from under hood/dash - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whistling from under hood/dash

Ok, guys. Here is my problem and I have a sound clip on my phone I can email to anyone willing to help: I have a whistling sound coming from under the dash(sounds like) on the drivers side. It makes the sound when going uphill and when the transmission shifts up, sound lasts about 1-2 seconds right after it shifts to a higher gear. It will also do it when you are cruising at a constant speed and let off the accelerator. Matt at gearhead told me to clean the egr valve, so I did that but sound is still there. I have recorded the sound on my phone for reference, so I can send it to anyone. I am open to all suggestions as I have tried just about everything I know to try and it is about to drive me crazy. The best way to describe it is it sounds like someone whistling a low-pitch whistle. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Have you check the boot on the hot side at the turbo for a hole in it how many miles on it, i have 31k and the boot was almost shot from the oil.
2 stroker
Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my radiator cap whistles after hard acceleration. it is not constant.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Stroked, the first thing I tried when I first started hearing this sound a year or so ago was waste 70 bucks on that boot, sound still there. Do you think it could be anything to do with the t-mission? I'm at my wits end with it. I want to lean towards the turbo being the source of it since it and the egr valve are the only things that have been replaced on the engine prior to the sound starting. I just can't recall how long after the new turbo was installed the sound began. Bout the only thing left I know to do is the online thing where you can ask and pay based on satisfaction of answer.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM

I don't think it would be anything to do with the trans, is the turbo new or has it been cleaned could be a clamp to the down pipe look for black soot up by the fire wall you have a boost gauge what kind of boost do you make max is 28lbs mine will only do 25 but when i pull my 5er i can go over 28lbs so i back out of it some.
2 stroker
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have a 06 6.0 F-350 DRW's I can get mine to do this at 1100 RPM, the guy at the Ford shop fixed it the first
time and it stopped it for 6 or 8 mo. I took it back to him and he can't find it now.
Doug
Old 02-24-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
I don't think it would be anything to do with the trans, is the turbo new or has it been cleaned could be a clamp to the down pipe look for black soot up by the fire wall you have a boost gauge what kind of boost do you make max is 28lbs mine will only do 25 but when i pull my 5er i can go over 28lbs so i back out of it some.
2 stroker
Ford shop replace the turbo and egr valve at the same time, Stroker. Prolly a reman, but replaced all the same. I have looked for a leak somewhere, but cant find one. Seems to do it worse when it is tuned, hence the reason I got with Matt to see if he had ever heard of anything like that. I sent the sound clip to him and his response was "holy crap, I've never heard anything like that!"
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
I have a 06 6.0 F-350 DRW's I can get mine to do this at 1100 RPM, the guy at the Ford shop fixed it the first
time and it stopped it for 6 or 8 mo. I took it back to him and he can't find it now.
Doug
WD40, do you have any idea what they did to fix it the first time???
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

He said it was something about a bolt on the exhaust had backed out a turn or two. It took some time to get
it to do it, but I can get it to do it all the time now at 1100 RPM when driving. I would like to get it fixed again.
Doug
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM

My bet is a cracked bellow in one of the Y-pipes. If it's not coming from the degas bottle, that is.

Look all over the firewall with a flashlight for soot. If you have soot, you have an exhaust leak. And a whistle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.