Bulletproof Oil Cooler or Stock Replacement? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bulletproof Oil Cooler or Stock Replacement?

hey guys,

got a question. My EGR cooler is going out and I will be replacing my oil cooler at the same time. So the question is, is the Bulletproof oil cooler worth the extra grand? I've already changed my coolant so it shouldn't coagulate in the cooler. Anyone have the Bulletproof kit and can provide feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the bulletproof cooler have about 45000 on it, I could not honestly tell ya if it has been worth it or not, but the total cost of labor for install helped to justify cost for me. Plus there is no guaranty stock cooler won't do the same thing again, at least bulletproof cooler has lifetime guaranty on part. Made it worth it for me. I had that oil cooler put on along with egr cooler, arp studs, factory gasket, all from bulletproof. It's been a year and 45000 later, so far no more recurring issues, now i am having ficm and injector issues, open to suggestions?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have 04 6.0 F250
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check your batteries. If you're having injector and FICM problems then its probably too late to save the FICM. Crappy batteries will make an FICM go bad and a bad FICM will make injectors go bad. My truck is about to get a Swamps FICM whenever I deploy. I've read really good things about them.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its more than just coagulation, casting sand has been an issue as well. The OEM coolers clog. Even replacements after vc9 flushes. I have never heard of a BPD cooler system having any issues. I would say that statement sums it up.

I have a full bullet proof system on my 550.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed bats and alt last year, pretty sure not that, did ficm test was reading 47-48 with key on , engine crank drop to 46 but then right back to 48. I was gonna try again in mornin when cold. Also got HSS in mail today poured in purred like a kitten for 5-10 seconds then right back to rough idle. I ll give it a little before I throw in the towel on that before I tear in to injectors. Was also gonna check fuel pressure.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwidholm View Post
Changed bats and alt last year, pretty sure not that, did ficm test was reading 47-48 with key on , engine crank drop to 46 but then right back to 48. I was gonna try again in mornin when cold. Also got HSS in mail today poured in purred like a kitten for 5-10 seconds then right back to rough idle. I ll give it a little before I throw in the towel on that before I tear in to injectors. Was also gonna check fuel pressure.
what weight oil are you running and do you run winter additive in your fuel? (do you need it)

Are you asking to find info? or are you making statements. "tearing into injectors" is no beginners task.

Last edited by ddb maine; 02-26-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are in a cold climate switch to 5w-40 synthetic oil. Way easier on the motor for cold starts and you can run it year round. Helps big time with Stiction. Also pour in a bottle of Rev X couldn't hurt either IMHO. If your voltage is running at 45+ than your FICM should be good. Is your fuel getting water in it? Are you running a fuel additive along with your fill ups? As to the OP if you are not using your truck in commercial service or live in a state that checks to see if you have an EGR cooler I would just delete it and be done with it. If you do (for any of the above) then yes the BPD kit is worth it. The OEM one will plug up not if but when, especially if you are still using the Ford Gold coolant. You can prolong your OEM EGR cooler by switching to an CAT EC-1 ELC approved coolant but be warned you have to flush your coolant system using Restore and Restore+ and by doing so you have the tendency to plug up your oil cooler as well. Since the oil cooler has a tendency to plug up and or explode its recommended that both the EGR and the oil cooler be replaced with BPD units. And if you are doing all of that then go ahead and get the ARP head studs in there as well since half the motor is apart at this point as well. Just my .02 cents
Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Like the others have said, if you replace the OEM oil cooler with another OEM unit, you will likely have the same problem with clogging. I, like the others, have gone with the BulletProof oil cooler and BulletProof EGR cooler so I never had to deal with that stuff again.

PS. I went through 4 EGR coolers and 1 oil cooler and this was despite running an EGR block off plate AND a coolant filter. You ask me if it's worth it - HECK YEAH!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
BPD BPD BPD. I consider it the best mod that I have ever done to any vehicle. Very well built and totally worth the $2k. Heck just the piece of mind is worth that.

Sent from my tab using the keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.