Engine Vibrations and cold starts. Codes on 7 cylinders - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Vibrations and cold starts. Codes on 7 cylinders

I have a 2004 6.0 with 185K. I have rough starts in the morning and low power until it warms up along time. wont pull up the driveway. Main problem is at highway speeds. when i let up on accelerator, it starts to shake and viberate. I can gas it and it stops, but when i let up on the accelerator it starts shaking again.

I checked the codes and have the followingO261, PO264, PO267, PO270, PO276, PO279 and PO282.

I have had the FCIM replaced by the dealer once at a high price. I have seen a website curcuitboardsmedic.com for $380. If the FICM is bad, can you reccomend these guys? Also, can you tell me how to test the FICM?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since you asked. FICMREPAIR.COM is also a good place to use. If you are handy with a soldering you can fix it your self.
GOOD LUCK!!

Q: HOW DO I TEST FICM VOLTAGE?

A:***FICM voltage tests should be performed with the engine oil COLD (ie, close to ambient air temperature). This will force the FICM into it's inductive heating strategy, which will give you a worse case scenario/voltage reading. If the engine has been run (within 5-6 hours of this test), then the warm engine oil may not give you an accurate FICM voltage.

On all 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engines you will find the FICM bolted to the drivers side valve cover...you may need to unbolt the coolant reservoir from the 'cowl' so that you can get your arms/hands back there to work on the FICM.You don't need to drain the coolant...just unbolt the bracket that hold the coolant reservoir, and gently move it as far out of your way as possible. Be careful, as there is a plastic coolant connector that can be cracked if the coolant jug is handled forcefully.

On the top of the FICM, you will see a diamond/oval shaped metal plate...remove the two screws from that plate (Torx#20).

under that plate you will either see 7 "lugs"...or 4 "lugs" (depending on the year of the truck)...

if you have a "7 lug FICM"...you want to put one lead from your multimeter onto the upper left "lug"...and the other multimeter probe to ground (bare spot on the cylinder head, alternator bracket, negative battery terminal, etc).If you have a "4 lug FICM"...you will want to check the lug on the right (closest to the drivers side fender).

be careful NOT to lean the probe on the FICM lug...over onto the aluminum case...you might let the smoke out, LOL...

Have someone turn the key to the 'on' position (don't crank it yet)...and see what your FICM voltage is. It should be >46volts.

Next have someone crank the engine...and see what the FICM voltage is while cranking...again..should be >46volts.

Go ahead and start the engine...and see what the voltage is while idling.

If the FICM voltage drops below 46 volts...then it is "bad"... SWAMPSDIESEL
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if it helps i have the same type of symtoms, i got a bad #4 injector found on the balance and contribution test.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

An example of a malfunctioning FICM with good voltages

Origional complaint similar to OP's. Since this is a common FICM symptom I pull the cover and run the voltage checks. All within specks. Hmmmmnnnnnn.

Codes for random missfire and a couple of unrelated issues. So I set up my scanner on live data choseing only the most relevant pid's to monitor just to clear up the clutter. My screen I can only see a dozen lines without haveing to scroll down.

Crank it up, yup it shakes and runs like chit. ICP;IPR;Fuel press;Oil Press within specs. Check FICM all readings good except sync is No. So I look at CAM and Crank, voltages ok hmmn flip to graph and watch wave forms OK.

I let it run for awhile and monitor, after about 8 mins Sync goes to Yes and motor levels out and acts right. Miss fire goes away.

My conclusion was that the logic circuit was unable to resolve sync for some reason. I offered to send it in for repair but they said they needed the truck.
I told them to take it to Ford for a new FICM and have it flashed while they were at it. Their mechanic said no he was just gonna pull another FICM off one of their wrecked trucks. I did warn him that may or may not work.

Once he told me that it became his puppy. I believe in my signature LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.