Ford's stock "new" oil cooler. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Ford's stock "new" oil cooler.

I am new here and this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but what the 411 on the supposedly "new and improved" oil cooler for the 6.0?

I have a 2006 with 95K. So far, no problems but I am aware of the oil cooler/EGR cooler/delete issues. Am wanting to have them replaced. Ford wants to put the "improved" stock oil cooler back in, I'm not so thrilled about it. However any aftermarket such as the Fully Bulletproof system is pricey. Anything inbetween? Any GOOD things to say about the N&I Ford stock cooler?

Since Ford no longer offers a manual tranny in their new trucks, this may be the last new truck I ever own after having an '84, '88, '92, '96, '04 and this '06...all manual diesels, I need to make this one last. I would also like to maximize performance without breaking the bank.

I don't mind spending the $$$ on an aftermarket kit IF it is truely worth it. I need someone besides a salesman to tell me what works for them.

Also, I have been told that EGR Delete will improve economy and performance as well as my cold running issues (this truck runs like a drunk sow until it warms up in cold weather.....much worse than previous trucks). Is this true?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDingo View Post
I am new here and this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but what the 411 on the supposedly "new and improved" oil cooler for the 6.0?

I have a 2006 with 95K. So far, no problems but I am aware of the oil cooler/EGR cooler/delete issues. Am wanting to have them replaced. Ford wants to put the "improved" stock oil cooler back in, I'm not so thrilled about it. However any aftermarket such as the Fully Bulletproof system is pricey. Anything inbetween? Any GOOD things to say about the N&I Ford stock cooler?

Since Ford no longer offers a manual tranny in their new trucks, this may be the last new truck I ever own after having an '84, '88, '92, '96, '04 and this '06...all manual diesels, I need to make this one last. I would also like to maximize performance without breaking the bank.

I don't mind spending the $$$ on an aftermarket kit IF it is truely worth it. I need someone besides a salesman to tell me what works for them.

Also, I have been told that EGR Delete will improve economy and performance as well as my cold running issues (this truck runs like a drunk sow until it warms up in cold weather.....much worse than previous trucks). Is this true?

Thanks!
My understanding is the coolant side of the oil cooler is larger less chance of getting plugged with silicate drop out from the Gold junk. Need to flush the system and run ELC coolant AT EC-1 Rated.
If you do not have gauges, get some because the ones in the dash are a joke they move when it is to late.
The Edge Insight CTS a great tool, get the expandable probe so if you want to add more to it down the line plus you can run 8 things at one time.
Edge Inisight CTS
Things you can add down the line like turbo timer & back up Monitor & fuel pressure
The Edge accessory system (EAS) was created with future expandability in mind Product Code: EDG98603
Edge Products – CTS UPDATE: Turbo Timer Install | Toy Hauler Adventures Product Code: EDG98604
Insight CTS Monitor by Edge Products | Toy Hauler Adventures
Ford Powerstroke 6.0L fuel pressure monitor and low pressure fix. | Toy Hauler Adventures
or you can order here Free Shipping
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/...?mID=6&cID=250

Lot of guys get the ScanGaugeII to me not as good as the Edge because you can not use the pyro a must if you pull
ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

The cold run problems may be the FICM need to check how old are you batteries, weak or bad batteries kills the ficm and the ficm kills the injectors.
Need to run a 5w40 Syn oil Ford filters only 5k miles max on the oil.
The price of a new ficm around $1100 or you can have your rebuilt at BPD Repair Ford FICM Module for $300
or--- FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair
Info here http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...FICM_Guide.pdf
and here http://swampsdiesel.com/site/install...ge_Testing.pdf
Testing the FICM
2 stroker
Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome dieseldingo. This is just me, but I'd be more concerned with the tech that is performing the work than concerned with the quality of the new ford oil cooler. If you have a competent tech that can perform the job then the cooler itself should work just fine. That's all I got. Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Don't mean to high jack you thread but do you guys no if I can use the ec1 rated coolant right from international?? I don't hear of anyone running international coolant
Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kTm520 View Post
Don't mean to high jack you thread but do you guys no if I can use the ec1 rated coolant right from international?? I don't hear of anyone running international coolant
From what I understand, as long as it is ec1 rated, its good to go

Sent from my HERO200 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06kngrnch84 View Post
From what I understand, as long as it is ec1 rated, its good to go

Sent from my HERO200 using AutoGuide.Com Free
like he said. highly recommended over gold. for some odd reason, ford didnt use the elc IH did and look at all the problems. 2 stroker says it in his long a** gold coolant being junk writeup and the process of a 6.0 meltdown.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The new oil cooler has something like 5% more surface area on the coolant side, which isn't much of an improvement IMO. Read this: Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Follow those steps before/during your oil cooler replacement and you should be able to minimize problems later. From what I can gather, there's nothing in between the stock cooler and the BPD cooler.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
They added and "11th" row of cooling passages for an increase in efficiency of 5%
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Emergency Services

Yes you can get elc from international...here they carry shell and fleetride
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roche837 View Post
They added and "11th" row of cooling passages for an increase in efficiency of 5%
Huh I must have went to the wrong school of mathematics. Because if you have ten rows and add one that would mean you were adding 10percent to the cooling not 5, utleast I am pretty sure of that but not a math mutation just a craps dealer on the Las Vegas Strip 5 percent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.