Oil comming out of tail pipe help??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil comming out of tail pipe help???

Hey new to this site looking for help. I have a 05 6.0 I bought about a year ago. Bought it with bad oil cooler and turbo talked dealer into giving me parts to put in did that truck ran good. Short while after ficm went bad and so did injector 1 on passenger side. Replaced the 4 injectors on pass side. Then the oil started to come out of exhaust. Replaced the other side because 2 and 6 were contributing like the rest hoping it would fix problem. So it has egr delet all8 injectors turbo ficm and oil cooler. Also has a 5 inch strait pipe Any ideas want could be causing this oil. Oil level doesn't drop neither does coolent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

I'm going through the same thing, white/gray smoke from the exhaust too. It's looking like the turbo is bad, allowing oil to go through the turbo and out the exhaust.

I just took my turbo out and apart, it was nasty, even though it was cleaned and rebuilt 200 miles ago. The rebuild did not include the thrust bearing or seals, that's what's bad now.

I'm finding some turbo rebuild shops who will do the rebuild for about $300.

Good luck, and please let me know what you find out.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought same thing. The only time it really smokes is at start up. I was able to get another turbo under warrantee just center section. What are chances of having another bad one??? Also the other day I pulled intake elbow and egr valve off it was oily in there to. Don't kno where it's commig from....
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm also having the same issue, white gray blue smoke at idle, oil coming out of the exhaust. The turbo was leaking pretty bad. I bit the bullet and installed a powermax, it runs excellent but still smoking. It was coated pretty good inside the exhaust so it will take awhile to burn out i assume, but i'm going to crack the down tube tonight and verify that the turbo is dry. also this all started with the addition of the BD diesel ccv kit.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its blow by, it's taking the path of least resistance...out the turbo seal
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This past weekend I did a CCv rerout to see if that would clear up any of it. Havnt put many mile on it yet but we will see. Something's telling me that isn't it tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cvega624 For This Useful Post:
PowerstrokeFX4 (12-15-2013)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Premium Member

Cvega - Look up the CCV mod on this forum. The oily residue your seeing could be fixed with this mod.

usajeep - Are you venting to a canister or the atmosphere? And, how did you seal the hole in your intake pipe? As for the smoke you're still seeing..... time to take a nice long drive and run that baby hot!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the BD kit vents to a canister and back into the intake, it cleared up all the oil going into the intake but it might be too much restriction. i'm also doing glow plugs as soon i receive them...paid for them on the 23 and STILL havn't gotten them yet!!! so i will be checking the compression while i change them, my truck is an 06 with 147 on it, i'm hoping it's not dusted.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Have you pulled the harnesses for the glow plugs yet? It is VERY common for them to break when you remove them. Mine is an 06 with 80K on it and I just had to pull the glow plugs on the right side to clear a hydro lock.... The harness broke apart and needed to be replaced. Not too expensive, like $60 I think. You may want to check with a local Ford dealer to see if they have them in stock. If not, order them... you can always return them.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes i bought those ahead of time just in case, i figured they would break. I got them off ebay for 55 a piece. and the glow plugs i ordered from command, they run hotter, faster, and they came with the tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.