I smell fuel in cab when sitting at idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I smell fuel in cab when sitting at idle

2005 Powerstroke. Had Edge Juice w/Attitude, otherwise stock. Smelling fuel smell coming through A/C vents when at idle at a stop. Intermittent. Happended last summer. Started up again a month ago. This time much worse. One dealer couldn't find anything wrong. I called around and another dealer says its a cracked "Y" pipe. I took the Edge out to take it to the dealer and it stopped, but has come back lightly now without Edge. Has anyone else had this issue? I have not had the "Y" pipe checked yet, but don't want to go in and let them chase ghosts. Any advice appreciated on anything else I can have them check. Don't see any signs of fuel leaks on garage floor.

Otherwise stock

Last edited by cwright34; 09-09-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump for some help with fuel system
Old 09-30-2007, 04:38 PM

Yup, I've noticed the fuel smell too. It's like there's a bit of diesel on the carpet. It's not the smell of exaust but of unburned diesel. It's only intermittent too. So I have the smell of diesel AND coolant. My truck is starting to smell like my grandad's garage.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WTexasRN - Think it has something to do with being in Texas? Sounds silly, but it happened last year in August and when I went out to West Texas. It hasn't done it in a few weeks now that the weather has cooled off a few degrees. Last time it did it was when I went out to Throckmorton a few weeks ago. Just a thought...

I spoke with a mechanic this weekend that used to be with a local Ford dealer. He said that it is most likely a leaky injector, not the Y pipe. He said not to worry about it if it wasn't smelling any more. It is irritating, though.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Oh, at first I thought you were going to say West Texas always smells like that heh heh heh....... But diesel smells much sweeter than crude oil which is a common odor out here.

Truth is I've also noticed it when I was in places other than W. Texas and it's rare but, you're right; it is irritating and a little embarassing when your D-Max owner father-in-law is riding with ya.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 98 F250 power stroke & am getting diesel fuel smell thru A/C vents. Don't see any fuel leaks that are obvious in the engine bay. Not sure where the air gets sucked into the vents. Could a leaking fuel filter do this?

Joel1914
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was getting the smell too. When they did the head gaskets, they replaced the "Y" pipe but there is a TSB for that concern. The TSB says to install exhaust manifold gaskets. I had them installed on my truck and the smell went away. Just a thought. Hope you guys get it fixed.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel Smell in cab

I found out this was the fuel filter. I had them replaced and made sure they replaced the o-rings when they did. This solved the problem and made the darn thing run better!!

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Glad it fixed the problem.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM

i had the same smell on my 2000, it ended up being the fuel drain valve on the back of the fuel filter housing, its all plastic and the O-rings go to crap on the valve and they will leak oil, thats what it ended up being on mine. and i could smell diesel fuel when ever i had my heater on or anything of that order. you might check that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.