tow/haul not working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
tow/haul not working

not sure where to post this and heaven't found any help from the owners manual of course.

heres what I got
2005 F250 CC/SB 4x4 automatic tranny 6.0L PSD
stock EVERYTHING, except the radio and recently I had an alarm/keyless installed.
Now before having the keyless and alarm installed I had used the tow/haul button and mode to pull approx. 7,000 pounds, greatly impressing my dodge loving father to the point he wanted a PSD! I'm not sure if the alarm install is related, but over a week after the install (yesterday) I went to haul a load of square bails home from the field, approx. 10,000 pounds on a long twin axle flat bed trailer, I hadn't put the truck into tow/haul mode while driving around the pasture loading the bails, but never got out of first gear either. To drive home I decided tow/haul mode might help since I would be on hills/stop signs/.... I hit the button and nothing happened...at all, no light, no rpm/shifting differences.

I pull the fuse box cover to see is the tow/haul fuse had blown, but it hadn't. I did notice the alarm installer had used a wire from the steering column to power the alram, I can get the wire color if anyone knows which wire works for what, but didn't know if the wire he used could be a wire for the tow/haul button and its interferring with the signal to switch my truck into tow/haul mode??? or is this a common 6.0 problem that usually has a different fix?
I have 59,0xx miles, but did buy an extended warranty to push that to 98,000 miles bumper to bumper.

I don't haul much, but I've only owned the truck for maybe 6 weeks, so I don't want things failing already! If the installer messed somin up I want them to fix it or pay to fix it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
id take it in under warantee and if they find the keyless entry to be the problem then i would go back to the company that installed it and make them cover the cost to have it fixed and if its not then it should be covered either way
Old 08-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
kinda what I was thinkin, but its a 30 minute drive to the dealer, and a 45min to an hour drive to the place that installed my alarm....I kinda live a lil bit out there!

i'll prolly have to do that anyways, but I might try to unhokk the wire powering the alarm from the wire its spliced into and see if it works, could possibly work I think, since I saw somewhere the tow/haul feature was activated by switching the 12v draw away fromt he button, so in my head with the minimal electrical knowledge I have, the alarm would then work like the button, that couldn't be pushed to turn off......I could be wrong, but just what I was thinking, if it works could save me alot of driving time and some $$$ in diesel that we all know the dealer and intall place aren't going to reimburse!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 PM
The Fat Mod

Call up the place that installed your alarm and see what they normally hook into. They should have run it off of the panel. You might want to go back and get them to do it right any way.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 PM

i had the wire to my tow haul break.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dealer will almost always try to point the finger at the aftermarket. I sell/install car audio and security and even when done 100% correct, they like to point fingers. AT least thats how all of the dealers are around here.

Main power and ignition from the alarm should have been tied in at the main ignition harness at the steering column. Id def let them check their stuff first and make sure its nothing on their end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.