Oil pressure gage drop at idle! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil pressure gage drop at idle!

My original problem was the check engine light coming on at idle and the oil pressure gage dropping to zero, but when I hit the gas everything would be normal. It runs great, but has a hard time starting. From the forums I figured it was the HPOP. I tore everything down and noticed a potential gasket leak so I replaced the gasket, but everything else looked great with the HPOP. I put everything back together, got her started and went on down the road. Same problem came back. My batteries are very old and don't hold a charge long at all. Can this check engine light on low oil pressure and hard starting be a battery issue? I also discovered I have an early 04 motor build 4/18/04. The HPOP doesn't have an STC fitting.
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The low batteries may very well be your problem. They will most assuredly lead to the destruction of your FICM if you don’t replace them very soon. The dash gauge reads the low pressure oil. The sender is only a 7psi pressure switch. The best way to tell if you have low oil pressure is with a real life gauage. You may have a bad sender or low system voltage causing the problem. Replace the batteries first and get back to us if you have further problems. Looking forward low lube oil pressure can be caused by a bad low pressure pump, pressure regulator, clogged oil filter, excess clearance inside the engine mainly at the bearings. Do you know what your ICP and IPR values are? What it your FICM output voltage?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM

After I did my head gasket replacement I had the same issue
"Loosing oil pressure at Idle"
After driving home two footed to keep the dummy gauge up I looked at my Edge Insight and I had plenty of High pressure oil. From doing a couple searches I found out, If I had low oil pressure the high pressure side would run out really fast and turn the engine off.

The 6.0 pretty much has a fail-safe built into the engine control. If you run out of oil your injectors won't operate and the engine will not run. Alot safer than than other engines seizing crank, cam, and turbo bearings after a few minutes of not having oil.

All in all, I replaced my oil pressure switch and it fixed my problem. cost around 35 bucks. It is on the oil cooler housing behind the oil filter.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Recently had an issue with my oil sending unit going bad on my early '04 producing the same symptoms, worth putting a gauge on it and checking it out.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HPOP plug?

I don't seem to have actual low oil pressure. When it runs it is very smooth, plenty of power, no black or white smoke from the exhaust. If I didn't see the ck guage I wouldn't have known anything was wrong until I tried to start it next time. I went back and read this original thread that got me to tear down everything and get to the HPOP.
2004 6.0L.. HPOP Plug? - No oil pressure at idle..

I thought the HPOP plug was on the HPOP cover and not on the actual pump. So I never even looked on the pump. Replaced the gasket and put it all back together and now discovered this. So now I'm back out to tear it all down again. At least this time I won't be looking for the right socket, or have stuck bolts. It should go quick.
David
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Missing HPOP Plug

Wow! Everything comes apart easier when you've already done it once. Here is a picture of my pump with the missing HPOP plug. Haven't decided to tap it and plug it or get a freeze plug yet. Not sure what size freeze plug. Does anyone know what size goes in there. Early 04 6.0L Powerstroke.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Oil pressure gage drop at idle!-hpop-001.jpg  
Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Good Job!!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what size freeze plug?

Thanks! I am going to go with a freeze plug, but never done one before. Do you know what size that HPOP plug hole takes? I guess I'll just take the pump to the autoparts store and fit it.
David
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM

If you are going that route, get some loctite 680 retaining compound, the green stuff. clean the hole and the freeze plug with brake clean on a rag. DO NOT SPRAY INTO THE PUMP! then apply the loctite assemble and wait to apply pressure until it has at least 6 hrs to set-up. You can find the 680 at most bearing supply shops.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cost

So much for being excited about a .29 cent freeze plug. Don't have the money for the loctite. I have regular red loctite. I guess I could do a 1/2"-20 tap and plug it. Thanks for your help!
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.