Battery light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery light

Ok I seem to have an ongoing problem with my battery light coming on. It died and I bought a new alternator about 2 months ago and it was good till the past 2-3 weeks it has started popping on again. Any ideas on what to check for. I have 2 new batteries but I am selling the truck so I do not want to put them in since they are $270 ea and I know I won't get that into the price of the truck. Battery light will come on under acceleration and sometimes stay on and sometimes go right back off. If it stays on and I give it a lot of throttle it will turn off and sometimes come back on. It seems kinda strange to me. By the way I'm poor is the reason I'm selling so can't take it to dealer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to navyeoseabee
mine just started to do this around monday, i think it is a connection heatting up then looses connection then cools and connection again....BUT i have no idea where to check.

first i check the alt and good connections and my batteries were just put in 3-4 weeks ago and good connection there. i don't know wish some one could help
Old 09-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Doesn't seem to be getting alot of attention....
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I had the exact same problem a few months back with my 06 F250 6.0. The light would only come on after the truck was hot and under hard acceleration it would go off then come back on (sometimes). Very strange. I ignored it until one night my truck wouldn't start. (had to be jumped by a Mazda). Took it to the dealer and they replaces the passenger side battery. Light still came on and did the same thing. Took it back and they put a new alternator in. Light hasn't come back on since. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to navyeoseabee
I took my alternator off and took it to kragen to get tested and they told me it was the voltage regulator that was crapped out. they were the cheapest for the new alternator at $199.99 with a $35.00 core charge.

after coming home i found that you can buy a voltage regulator for $$29.95 so i think i may keep the $35.00 core fee old alternator and buy a new voltage regulator and swap them myself and have a working "used" alternator sitting on the shelf.

although the alternator from kragen has a life time warrenty, but i would be nice to just swap them out next time rather than hitching a ride to go trade in the junker, and i know timing will not be key for the next one will to go out as did this one.

good luck-arick
Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Where is the voltage regulator located?

My battery light has come on twice in the past week, so I had Autozone test it while it was on the truck. My SGII showed 13.2ish at the time and he said it should read higher, around 14. His tester showed 13.4. He said the alternator is not bad yet, but on its way out. The batteries were new in 2/10. The light hasn't come on in a few days and I am seeing 13.7ish after a couple minutes of warmup. It occasionally drops to 13.2 while driving.

AZ had a 140A alternator for $179. The book calls for a 110A for my truck and it's $229.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.