Please Help-Pitman Arm Removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help-Pitman Arm Removal

Hey everyone i'm having a lot of trouble removing my pitman arm to finish installing the rest of my lift. Ive been soaking it in pb blaster for the last 4 days. The bottom nut is off but the arm itself isnt budging. I read that using a pickle fork on alternating sides then a pitman arm puller should work, but it hasnt. I called the local ford diesel master tech and he suggested the same thing. I really dont want to cut it off if possible, but i dont know what else to do. So far here is what i've tried and the results

-pickel fork and puller: broke the puller (bent it out around the arm and damaged the pullers bolt

-grinding the pickle fork down to increase the thickness before it hits the splines: deformation of the fork

-hiting the arm on both sides at once with metal hammars: Lots of noise, no movement

-hitting a flat head in over the fork: diggin into the metal of the fork, no gap increase

Any ideas? Winter is coming quick and i need my truck back on the road, the bike wont do too well in the snow. Thanks much, have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

I just want to clarify that you are using a pitman arm puller not a normal puller. We tried to remove mine with a three prong puller did not work. The pitman arm puller pop that thing right off. Dont use a impact to spin the puller use a wrench and breaker bar. You wont get enought torque with the impact.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM

the puller we used was an actual pitman arm puller. however, it was too narrow to fit around my pitman arm in any orientation so we ended up grinding down the pitman arm. Did yours fit on without any modification? I am wondering if we just got a crappy and too small puller? My next move was going to be a three arm snap on puller my neighbor has if he can find it, but im thinking of cutting the darn thing off now because we just broke the fork. everyone that i talked to said it should come right off. This might sound dumb but can you describe everything you did? I mean we took off the bottom nut and washer then started this crap. Is there something we are missing? Thanks much, have a good one.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

From what I remember: the puller was a larger one that i rented from autozone. Ill tell you what we did step by step. 1) Put puller on and tightened the **** out of it. 2) Hit the pitman arm with a hammer. 3) tightened again and let it sit. 4) smoke/coffee break 5) hit it with a hammer agian lol 6) touched the breaker bar and BANG it broke loose. Thats what we did. I wouldnt use the snap on puller we tried that first and it kept falling off. I would be careful if you cut it wouldnt want to mess up those threads.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 AM

well thanks for the advice, i def appreciate it. What you described is basically everything we did. I broke a different 2 arm puller (sheared a pin right off) using a 4 ft breaker bar. I was too scared to go crazy with the snap on puller because there was almost no contact patch between the arms and the pitman arm, and my buddy got hit in the face with it on his first try. On my autozone puller, we mushroomed the bolt and bent the arms out. this is crazy! No matter what we do we are not seeing this thing budge at all. I think we are resorting to cutting it tonight because i need to have this done before winter hits. Thanks again, have a good one.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Premium Member

Good luck! when you get it off take a picture im interested to see what this pitman arm looks like when your all done! hehehe
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 AM

HAHA ok. My buddy is heading over to my place in an hour to start the cutting process, but i have a feeling it wont go quick.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
get your self a new puller get a load on it and then start worming the the pitman arm. a little heat goes along way.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:28 AM

Just did mine last week.We broke my buddys snap on puller trying to do mine.Ended up cutting down the side with a cutoff wheel and then split it with an air chisel.Box is only three years old and must have been put back with an impact.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonpower View Post
get your self a new puller get a load on it and then start worming the the pitman arm. a little heat goes along way.
I was going to suggest this but i though the heat may harm the spindle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.