Weird Electrical Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Weird Electrical Issues

When I was driving to work this afternoon I experienced some weird electrical issues. As I was driving down the road all of the guages on the dash quit working, the stereo shut off, the power windows do't work and the interior lights are not working. Turn signals still light up on the dash and the airbag light starts up. I still have power to the power points and the blower motor and power door locks still work. I looked at the fuses and there isn't a common fuse that I found. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Damn bud! Electrical issues can send you for a loop. Especially without a good diagram. Hopefully a tech has a Ford diagram handy that he can talk you through it.

No harnesses melted to anything, or pinched? You didn't unplug anything but the essentials, right? Hard to give much info without a diagram
Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Still Alive

No harnesses melted or pinched that I could see. OBD II port works also but no codes. I am missing some common point and it is irritating me. Not going to worry about it until the weekend. It gets me to and from for the time being.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Sounds like a ground issue. Deff need a wiring diagram.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not sure how different the wiring is on our trucks, mine is a late 99, but I had a similar problem. I know you said the fuses were fine, but my problem was a fuse that controlled the instrument cluster, but also the truck wouldn't drive when I pushed on the gas pedal. I happened to look at the owner's and found the fuse that controls the instrument cluster, pulled it out and it was blown. Don't know if it'll help, but any little bit helps right?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

As trivial as it sounds, check your battery connections.

After the engine install in my truck I had some really quirky issues come up because the power wire from the drivers battery to the cab was loose. Engine would crank but wouldn't start, nothing in the cab worked except the OBDII and cigarette lighter, etc...
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
Sounds like a ground issue. Deff need a wiring diagram.
That is what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr View Post
As trivial as it sounds, check your battery connections.

After the engine install in my truck I had some really quirky issues come up because the power wire from the drivers battery to the cab was loose. Engine would crank but wouldn't start, nothing in the cab worked except the OBDII and cigarette lighter, etc...
Will do Tom. I was actually planning on doing that tonight.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 AM

i also had a similar problem with mine. the damn alarm install guy messed with the ground wires under the dash. take your lower dash panel off the one that lets you gain access to the fues, and up to the right side of the opening are some ground wires screwed to the metal part of the dash. (black wires) check to make shure they are all tight should be about 3 or 4 of them on 2 or 3 screws. look down in the wire mess and make shure all are connected and that one or more didnt fall down there.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstroke View Post
i also had a similar problem with mine. the damn alarm install guy messed with the ground wires under the dash. take your lower dash panel off the one that lets you gain access to the fues, and up to the right side of the opening are some ground wires screwed to the metal part of the dash. (black wires) check to make shure they are all tight should be about 3 or 4 of them on 2 or 3 screws. look down in the wire mess and make shure all are connected and that one or more didnt fall down there.
That was the first thing I did yesterday when it happened. All of the grounds are there and tight.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 AM

of corse they are because that would be to easy of a fix. the same **** happens to me all the time. expt when they were loose. any how try to get a wiring diagram and just go through it and check all relevant connectors and wires and fues. if you still cant find the problem. well than i hate to say it but take it to ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.