need help fast - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help fast

Need some help fast. So I put on a new air filter and took it down the roadf for a quick test drive. Pull out on highway and went WOT for a short run about 0-75 and let off. The truck acted normal for a split second then died. No start. Pulled codes and the only code was a ckp open code. The wierd thing is that I went trouble shooting and was looking at icp psi and it was 0-5 and volts stayed at .2. So I started looking at icp sensor and unplugged what I am thinking is icp sensor( passenger valve cover with above glow plug module) and psi went to around 650 while cranking but got a low voltage code for icp.

So I need help fast on what the problem could be and how to fix. Simple solution would be bad ckp sensor but nothing is simple on these trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM

So does it start with the ICP sensor unplugged? This sounds like your STC fitting blew out.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
well with no crank signal the IPR will never be commanded closed and oil pressure won't build. if it actually has a crank sensor problem. a crank DTC can be set from excessive cranking

while cranking what is your IPR being commanded to while your ICP is staying at .2v

If you're commanding 85% IPR and ICP is not rising suspect a high pressure oil leak(namely the STC)
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

When you crank it what is the IPR % and ICP output? With the ICP sensor unpluged the PCM will assume a default value. If there realy is enough oil pressure to run the injectors it should start.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Hoping its not sct cause that will bring a whole new post on beans diesel who were suppose to have replaced it.

Icp stays at 0.2V while cranking and pressure at 0psi if icp is plugged in. If unplugged I get 0V and 650 psi

All I have is edge insight so I don't believe it has ipr percentage

No start whether icp is plugged in or not
Old 09-06-2011, 05:44 PM

This sounds like a high pressure oil leak. A lot of STC’s fail when at very high pressures such as at WOT, I think you can see well over 3500 PSI at WOT. The new design is one part and basically can’t fail The other suspects are the IPR, loose wiring , IPR screen clogged, injector o-rings , standpipes and dummy plugs . What is the FICM voltage? Do you get oil and fuel up to the filer housing? Please see the no start check list in my signature. Also here is a link about ICP leaks.

DTS Articles - 6.0L ICP System Leaks
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM

From the article above I see 2 things that catch my eye. The first is the failed injector oring and the way the article said it failed. I have been having some injector troubles lately but it was only at start up it would lope(jumping around 100-200 rpm) for a few seconds then smooth out.

The second is the stc fitting.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Ya, I know you said beans did the STC, but thats were my money is. Let us know what it turns out to be. Maybe start with an air test. Pull the IPR and if the screen has any metal flakes on it at all the HPOP is shot. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 AM

Would you recommend changing the ckp sensor or do you believe that was just from the long crank? Trying to get an idea on if I should worry with that sensor or tow it to my shop to start diagnosing and tearing apart.

Where is the ipr at on this motor?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Bump trying to get some direction before the ford place closes so I can get started on it this afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.