Surging during half to full throttle????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Surging during half to full throttle?????

Im a new member and a new diesel owner. I bought a 2005 F250 King Ranch and it has 191000 miles on it. Supposedly it has new injectors, new injection pump, EGR delete has already been done to the truck. My problem is when I am under half to full throttle the truck surges as it accelerates. The tach and the boost gauge will surge along as it accelerates. What could this be? Like I said I am a new diesel owner my previous truck was an 2003 F150 lightning. I loved that truck but I needed something haul a larger load than the F150 could handle. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Melvin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First you should verify that there is indeed an EGR delete installed. My fist gut feeling on this was that the EGR valve is dirty and stuck open. If you don’t know how to tell by looking post a pic of the engine and we will tell you. A 6.0 doesn’t have an injection pump. The fuel injectors are powered by a high pressure a oil pump, I suspect that is what your seller was referring to.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It will be tomorrow evening before I can get a pic but im pretty sure it has the EGR delete. It has a cap covering this hole that says Sinister? Is that a brand that has the delete kits out there the cap is kinda in the center of the motor to the left of the oil filter housing. And I was mistaking on the injection pump the guy did say high pressure oil pump. Like I say im new to the diesel scene give me a supercharger or some nitrous and im at home.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM

OK, you have an EGR delete then. Thats great news.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM

How much boost are you making when it surges?
There are self adjusting vanes in the exhaust housing of the turbo which allow it to spool very quickly. They tend to get sooty and stick if you don't work out the truck every so often.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im probably making between 20 to 25 or so when it is surging the RPM's fluctuates and keeps climbing and the boost will fluctuate also as it climbs up to 25 or a little over. But it doesn't jump up quickly because of the pulsating.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought the truck and drove it from Alabama to North Carolina which was over 600 miles without any problems other than the surging during acceleration. Cruising it ran great. I averaged 17.89 MPG which I was pleased with. The surging part is just annoying though.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have got a buddy that has the same exact problem on his truck. I am trying to research it also.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was messing with the truck last night and noticed that the blue hose that comes from the turbo had 2 cuts in it. The 1 cut is about 2.5" long. The cut is not all the way through the full 2.5" but it is through in some places of the cut, and the the other cut is about an 1" long and it is deeper. Would these cuts cause the pulsting or surging when under a load or harder acceleration?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2004 king ranch also just put it in the shop this pass week for the same problem.Tthey put the truck on a scanner and said 1 and 7 injectors was bad so i replaced them. Picked the truck up and it still doing it. when i get to about 2000 rpm and pulling my boat it will surge. i hope someone out there that knows what they are talking about can point us in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.