Boost in the 38-40 range - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost in the 38-40 range

Yesterday I went to the track to get some time in. On the way down going up and down some rooling hills pulling a 8000ish lb trailer I noticed the boost gauge peged on the way up the one hill. My gauge goes to 35 and it was well past that. i would say around 40. I had the cruse control on so I kicked it off and then noticed I had to be under 1/4 throtle to get it back under 30. If I left off completly it would sit around 5. I could make it go up and down with throtle but it would go right up there again any time over 1/4 throtle. This went on for almost 10 miles since i could not stop as I was in a construction zone with no pull off areas. Untill I got off it was making a lot of heat with all that bost up around 30. The egts were up around a constant 1150 - 1200. I could maintain that putting along. I had ford rebuild the turbo about a year or so ago. Do you think the vains were sticking or it was a computer issue? Also it pucked out the degas. The temps were at a constant 220 or so withthe fan on a lot during that. With what I have done to the engine with the black onix and studs cold it take that kind of boost and not blow my head gaskets? I am hopeing it was just hot and built up pressure? Any opinions?

Once I got off the highway left it idel for a few it went back to normal and I went on to the track. On the way home it was normal also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Not sure if its a solenoid issue, it could also be the vanes sticking as well, alot of ppl that do the studs use the oem gasket as the gasket is not real issue but the OEM TTY headbolts. I think the studs will def handle the pressure but the Degas puking isnt a good sign tho, maybe you ruptured your egr cooler and or oil cooler, it wouldve been beneficial to know the EOT and ECT Delta when this was happening as well. the degas is rated at 16psi so when it pukes its bc excessive pressure is built up inside the cooling system, and it went over 15-16psi at the cap, so you might have too look into the Head and or EGR cooler and the oil cooler as well. these are just some things i can think of, maybe someone else can give more detailed or direct opinion. you def Over-Boosted i think the oem turbo is good for like 25psi, outside that its out of its efficiency range, how long was your egt that high?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 PM

egts were that range for about 10 min or so intill i was out of the cattle shoots. the delta was about 5 degrees to the cool side on the oil. The egr is gone and the oil cooler was rebuilt about 8000 miles ago. the oil cooler in intact there is no oil in the anti and no anti in the oil. The vgt was changed as well last fall. The truck is actually having no issues since it stopped over boosting. The egts were around 1100 most of the time after I tried to control them. I am hoping that the extended time with the egts hot boiled the antifreeze at the head and jacket up the pressure. I just have no way of knowing that.

I may get a kit for the turbo and take it apart. just to me acks like a sensor or some thing caused the computer to do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:20 AM

could be a sensor bc it stopped doing it now, if the vanes were sticking, im sure it would still be doing it. might be a computer/sensor problem like you said. if your worried about the head gaskets, check this out Head Gasket Testing
Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM

boost 3 is up there but since you backed off the fuel, the cylinder pressure with high boost and low fuel setting would not be nearly as high as high boost and high fuel setting. weird little glitch that i would want to resolve, but i would just drive and watch the coolant for a while before panicking. maybe just pull the turbo and check the vanes. mine were not stuck totally , but after some hard steep hills with lots of curves I.E. full throttle then 0 then full throttle 4-6 times a minute for several hours, mine is definitely behaving much better and much differently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.