Problem with EGR Delete Kit install seeking advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem with EGR Delete Kit install seeking advice.

I have a 2006 F350 with 167K . I installed Sinister's complete EGR Delete Kit, and rebuilt the oil cooler. I am not an experienced mechanic, but I took my time with it (2 days) and got everything back together, at least I think I did, the way its meant to be.

Truck starts ok, but I am not getting any turbo boost at all and the there is a steady stream of white smoke coming out of the exhaust that is definitely damp.

Truck ran fine prior to me performing the delete, except for the fact that it was burning a gallon of coolant every week.

I have obviously made an error during the install of the delete kit, and due to my lack of experience I could use guidance on where to start looking for the problem.

Kind regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem I just installed a egr delete on
A 03 6.0 runs fine at an idle but when u get on the throttle it blows white smoke and sputters and is low on boost. There is no
Smoke at idle, don't know if it's head gasket or what any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfenix View Post
Truck starts ok, but I am not getting any turbo boost at all and the there is a steady stream of white smoke coming out of the exhaust that is definitely damp.

Truck ran fine prior to me performing the delete, except for the fact that it was burning a gallon of coolant every week.

I have obviously made an error during the install of the delete kit, and due to my lack of experience I could use guidance on where to start looking for the problem.
Head gaskets are gone. Basically that means that your repair came too late.
The heads have to come off, find a qualified machine shop to check them over and check for flat/straight. If they must mill the surface, they can not exceed 0.008" or the head must be replaced. DO NOT assume that whatever shop or dealership you bring your truck to will do this for you. YOU get it done. If you (or they) skip this step, plan on replacing the head gaskets in a year or so when they fail again. (The FORD procedure for this step is not sufficient, don't assume that it is)
Use the FORD head gaskets. Don't buy the hype on the "black onyx" head gaskets. If you do any research on the forums, you will see that the black onyx gaskets are failing quite a bit more often than the stock ones.
Install ARP studs, and nothing else. The stock head bolts (no matter what some ill-informed service advisor may say) suck, period, end of story.

Check the first link in my signature line. It has a bunch of info that you should know, albeit a little late for you, but it will help in the future.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:54 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpk89 View Post
I am having the same problem I just installed a egr delete on
A 03 6.0 runs fine at an idle but when u get on the throttle it blows white smoke and sputters and is low on boost. There is no
Smoke at idle, don't know if it's head gasket or what any suggestions?
You may have just a leaking EGR cooler.
If you have not replaced the EGR cooler AND the oil cooler recently, do it. Don't drive the truck anymore. Park it until you do the repair or risk your head gaskets.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh great news!!! turbo is not kicking in at all. took it for a test drive and i could not even get up a small hill. White smoke is gone, but a decent amount of oil was spat out of the tailpipe.

Still think the headgaskets are shot? Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by fordfenix; 09-05-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check for intake hoses not tightened, all the way from turbo to intake manifold. if it was the head gasket or egr cooler i would expect it to smoke at idle as well, although my personal experience with this problem is fortunately limited. to some degree it could be coolant that was already in the system or some plug that did not get fully plugged back in. while HG's are a real possibility always check the small, simple inexpensive things first
Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfenix View Post
oh great news!!! turbo is not kicking in at all. took it for a test drive and i could not even get up a small hill. White smoke is gone, but a decent amount of oil was spat out of the tailpipe.

Still think the headgaskets are shot? Thanks for the feedback
You sure that was oil? I'm betting it was coolant that gathered soot on its way through your exhaust system. Go get some on your finger and give it whiff. If it is oil, and your turbo is non-functional, take the downpipe off the turbo and have a look inside the pipe and the turbo. If you see cooked oil, your turbo is cooked. If it is coolant, it might be residual, depending on how long ago you did the egr/oil cooler fix. Either way, it might be worthwhile to remove the turbo. It will tell you on one side if it is oil shooting out of the turbo seal, and if that isn't the issue, the turbo should be split and cleaned (since you had coolant flowing through it previous to your oil cooler/egr repair).

Turbo cleaning PDF file attached.

EDIT: The turbo is controlled by the PCM (of course), but the PCM uses a few sensors to do that.
One is the MAP sensor. It is located on top of the HVAC box on the passenger side. Check the hose for cracking. Check the brass nipple on the intake for clogging (stick an allen wrench down the hole, or something that can not be dropped in).
The EP sensor. Depending on your year of engine, this sensor sits in one of two spots. It is either located at the thermostat housing or on the drivers side, under the degas bottle, attached to the valve cover along with the front FICM bracket. Using two wrenches, remove the sensor (one on the sensor one on the tube it sits on). Clean the sensor, take a long piece of tie-wire and stick it down the tube or spray brake cleaner down the tube. You can't hurt the tube (unless you twist it upon removing or replacing the sensor). The tube just goes to the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. Just make sure the passage is clear. DON'T use brake cleaner on the sensor, use carb cleaner.
Make sure your MAF sensor is plugged in (if present). It is on the air intake tube just after the turbo.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford_Turbo cleaning.pdf (611.6 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by NYC F-350; 09-05-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the help

will give that a go today. going to run compression test to check heads as well
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

compression came back with positive results/ small leak head gaskets will need to be replaced at some point,
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So how hard was the Sinister kit to put in? I'm planning on buying one of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.