EGR cooler clamp problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR cooler clamp problem

So I replaced my EGR cooler and oil cooler. All was good. Truck started right up but had a hiss. Turns out I have an exhaust leak where the EGR cooler hooks into the exhaust. I tried tightening the clamp some more and ruined the clamp. I pulled it out and purchased a new one. I can get the clamp on but not spun around the end is to big to pass under the cooler. The old one came out so I figure the new one must go back on. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
there's a thin metal gasket that goes on the end of the cooler, it'll fall out pretty easily and dissappear without a trace if you don't know it's there

the clamp should go on, it's a little tricky, try installing it around the up-pipe first and spreading it over the flange
Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
there's a thin metal gasket that goes on the end of the cooler, it'll fall out pretty easily and dissappear without a trace if you don't know it's there

the clamp should go on, it's a little tricky, try installing it around the up-pipe first and spreading it over the flange
I am aware of the gasket, but this clamp once off will not go back on. When I say off I mean completely off the pipe and in my hands. Now when I put it on the pipe it will not spin because the ends are to big to go under cooler. I have been at this all day trying to get it on. I have the passenger side down pipe undone, the turbo up pipe undone and and the driver side turbo up pipe undone and i still can not get it back on. I can not believe I have to pull the intake to put this back on. The old one came off so it only make sense the new one would go back on.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
it will go on, keep messing with it
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is a bolt head right under the clamp that will cause you a lot of frustration. Open it up and get it around the up pipe behind the flange with the opening pointing down. then slip it over the flange and rotate it around the correct direction with the opening on top and tighten down. I didn't remove my manifold and mine just fell right on.
GOOD LUCK.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
There is a bolt head right under the clamp that will cause you a lot of frustration. Open it up and get it around the up pipe behind the flange with the opening pointing down. then slip it over the flange and rotate it around the correct direction with the opening on top and tighten down. I didn't remove my manifold and mine just fell right on.
GOOD LUCK.
Well I tried everything and after many hours wasted today I finally got it back on. I unhooked the EGR exhaust down pipe from the exhaust manifold and the large turbo pipe and had a friend pull them as far out of the way as possible. I could then finally finagle the clamp back on. Once back on it was just a matter of hooking everything back up. What a pain in the arse it has been. I expected something to go wrong since everything else went so smooth replacing EGR and oil cooler. Truck fired right up and ran smooth. Took it for a ride and let it heat up, all sounded and ran good. Came home and fired it up after it was run at operating temperature and started right up. I hope this was the only hiccup. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.