Black smoke coming from turbo, and a huffing sound? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black smoke coming from turbo, and a huffing sound?

So after replacing my rear brakes/rotors, i was test driving it, and the brakes sounded great... But i kept hearing this "huffing" sound when I would accelerate rapidly, then let off the pedal... Almost like a backfire, but a "huffing" sound... If I accelerate normally it doesn't do it... Only when I get on it, then let off, doesn't do it at idle, have to be driving.

A friend and I were lookin under the hood, it doesn't make the "huffing" sound when I rev it, but it does blow a little black smoke from around the turbo... I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from tho?

I think i'm experiencing a little bit of power loss at times as well... A time or two on the way home from work today, when I'd get on it felt like there wasn't any power, so I had to push harder, then it kicked in.

The boost gauge seems to be climbing like normal (factory gauge)

I just had an EGR delete, and a rebuilt turbo put on about 3 months ago.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
information regurgitator

That "huffing" sound? Turbo fart. You spool up the turbo and it makes boost and when you lift off real quick, that boost has nowhere to go but backwards through the turbo and out the air cleaner. Normal.

The black you see is not. Places to check are:

The turbo to y-pipe connection. Check around that connection with a mirror and a flashlight for the presence of soot. You will probably see it on the clamp. What typically happens is that when it was assembled, the y-pipe was not fully seated in the turbo inlet flange. Then the clamp was tossed on and whoever did the job thought the clamp would pull the connection together. It won't. If you see the soot, I would get a new clamp, take it back apart. Throw the old deformed clamp out. Slide the new clamp on the turbo as close to the body of the turbo as you possibly can without it being on the turbo flange. Get the y-pipe seated all the way into the turb. Use any means you have to, crowbar, long pipe anything. Once the y-pipe pops into the flange fully, hold it there and get the clamp on the connection and tighten it to spec while keeping inward pressure on the y-pipe. It can be a real fun thing.

Next, check for soot at the connection between your new up-pipe on the passenger side and the y-pipe. There is supposed to be a metal gasket between them at that spot. If you see soot around that connection, either they left the metal gasket out or they didn't tighten it down good enough. Getting that metal gasket in there is not easy without taking the turbo back out of the way. Don't ask how I know.

The other spots to check is the y-pipe expansion joints. Look for soot build up on them or on the firewall behind them. If you see that, its time to replace the y-pipe.

The last, and least likely spot is the downpipe to turbo connection. This connection is easy to get right. The tab welded to the top of the downpipe pretty much holds the pipe right in the right spot. If someone was sleepwalking when they assembled it, I suppose it could be possible they got it wrong. Check around the clamp for soot, if you find it, get a new clamp.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Wow, thanks alot! That reply was more than i coulda hoped for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.