Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant and oil are hot

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ChrisSki 
#1 ·
I have a 03 6.0 I just back flushed the oil cooler and my temps are still warm. I didn't see any crap come out when I back flushed It was all clean. It is about 88 degrees in St. Louis and with out a load if I drive over 70 my coolant runs around 200-210 and my oil is running 220-230 and if I have just a slight load the oil will jump up to 235-240 and coolant will get to 220. The oil cooler isn't that old I think 5 maybe 6 months old. Could I be looking at a bad t stat or waterpump not moving enough water or maybe a bad egr cooler or a bad oil cooler again. I thank everyone for the help and where would I get the water filter everyone is talking about. I think it might be time for a oil cooler relocator. thanks guys for the help.

#4 ·
Get a new MOTORCRAFT thermostat in there. No other brand, since the motorcraft thermostat fails OPEN, others don't.
Reverse flushing will not remove anything from an oil cooler that has been in there for a long period of time. Over time the junk packs itself in there solid. The reverse flush was written for those that see an almost immediate high delta. (as in weeks, not months after replacement)

#6 ·
if you plan on keeping this truck for a long time then look at the link on NYC F-350 post and do what it says EGR fix i think is most inportant sinister has a good kit and a good coolant filter kit as well i run them both and have had no problems

#7 ·
thanks guys for the help I just put a new thermostat in I will see how that works and I just orderd a egr delete kit. The poor truck has had a rough life I bought it with a blown oil cooler egr cooler and blown tranny. I guess I should of put a delete on instead of a new egr cooler and if the delete don't help I am going with a new water pump and oil cooler again thanks for all the help.

#8 ·
My '05 is doing about the same thing. Towing my 5th wheel back to Idaho from the Oregon coast yesterday when I even had to pull a small hill my ECT and EOT would climb. ECT 220* to 239* EOT up to 240* and almost no power what so ever. Sometimes the fan would kick in at 218* and other times not until around 225*. However, even though the fan would start it did absolutely nothing as to bringing the temps down. The only trouble codes shown on my Edge Insight was one for "Under Turbo Boost" and one for a "Over Turbo boost". TFT for the most part stayed around the mid 170's*. Although a couple of times in got up to 184*
Any ideas????? :dunno:

p.s. Ford just installed a new FICM half shell on Wednesday.

#11 ·
I would look into the blue wire mod or a 7.3 fan clutch, replace your thermostat, and do a coolant flush / oil cooler flush if it hasnt been done in a while. Your turbo issues sounds like sticky turbo veins or a bad VGT solenoid. Try and run some archoil fuel system cleaner to keep the turbo veins clean. I found some really good input on that stuff so now I'm a sucker for running it with my fuel..

#9 ·
when my fan comes on, my ect drops 2 degrees ever second-SUPER fast. It will only come on pulling heavy on steep grades. Def. sounds like a new thermostat/water pump impeller inspection is in order.

#10 ·
Thanks. The water pump was in the back of my mine also. Guess I'll call Ford on Monday.

#12 ·
I like the 7.3 fan clutch, and it does really keep the ECT down.

I do think in the last 10 years, the OP has fixed his problem or moved on.

#14 ·
Not sure on smarter, but I have fallen a few times for the recommended reading and resurrected a few threads because of it. I wish they put something in the recommended reading to prevent those old threads from.Popping up.

Reactions: Hydro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.