2005 6.0 white smoke, power loss when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2005 6.0 white smoke, power loss when cold

Any help will be very helpful at this time im short on cash due to surgery and trying to get back to work. But yesterday being 100 degrees outside I turned on my truck and started fine no defects noted. But as soon as i drove off i noticed loss of power and heavy white smoke then it turned black but after i ran it for a while it was all back to normal with no problems.. well this morning it did it all over again. I have no clue where to begin the trouble shooting or even imagine how much this will cost me. Im fairly capable of doing most of the work myself if its something i can do with ordinary home tools..Please help. thank you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You should park your truck on an incline, nose down. Pull your egr valve and leave the hole open overnight. In the morning, check the bottom of the hole for the presence of moisture.
If you find that, you have a failed EGR cooler and a plugged oil cooler.
Don't just ignore this. The repair as it is will be around $1300, ignore it and this repair can balloon to the 5-6000 range.
Typical home tools are not enough to tackle the egr/oil cooler replacement. It requires a very good selection of ASE and metric sockets ratchets and ratchet wrenches. You will also need an in/lb torque wrench as well as a ft/lb torque wrench. This will take you about 10-15 hours if you are mechanically inclined and have the tools.

If you see the wetness in the egr valve hole, what is happening to your truck is that it is ingesting coolant from a failed EGR cooler. Should the engine ingest enough coolant, the resulting steam pressure will lift your heads and pop your head gaskets. The coolant is also flowing the opposite direction when the truck is off. The coolant is flowing out of the failed EGR cooler, and down into the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the truck. Should enough coolant leak out and find an exhaust valve open, the result could be a hydrolocked engine.
What happened the last two days is that there is coolant in the exhaust manifold in the morning. You start the truck and force that coolant to flow through your turbo. The white smoke you see is steam from burning the coolant. Sending the coolant through your turbo can also result in an overboost condition, and an engine weakened by the previous events leading up to this can also result in popped head gaskets.

Check the first link in my signature line. It will give you tons of info that you as a 6.0 owner need to know.

The second link is all about getting the junk out of your cooling system, previous to this repair if possible.

The third link will show you "what you are up against" if you just want to check out what is involved in this repair.

Do the test of parking on the incline and let us know what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.