New to the forums as I just bought an '04 Excursion PSD about a month ago with 109k miles on it. When I picked it up the A/C was working, but it wasn't very cold. I assumed it needed a charge and drove it home. Had it charged last week and it blew a little colder but nothing like it should after reading this forum for the past week. I just took it on a 500 mile trip and it just quit blowing cold air altogether, feels more like ambient temperature. Here is what I have checked...
- The clutch engages and disengages when I cycle the A/C, and it keeps running, no cycling on and off.
- The temp controls can change from dash to floor etc no problem.
- It has no problem blowing hot air when on defrost or temp is set high and going back to slightly cool when I put it back down to 60 degrees.
- I let it run for about 20 minutes in the driveway and while one of the lines going to the condenser is super hot (the top line) I don't see any lines sweating like I have read about. None are even close to "beer can cold".
- I didn't notice the fan running at all, but last night I drove 200 miles with ambient temperature at 72 and with all of that air coming through I didn't notice a difference in the temp at all, so I assume the fan isn't the issue.
I don't have a guage so I unfortunately can't give any pressure readings. I did take it back to the shop yesterday that did the charge thinking they screwed it up, but after having it on the machine for about 2 hours they said the refrigerant level wasn't the problem and they needed more time to figure it out. Unfortunately I had to leave town for the road trip and couldn't stay any longer.
Any thoughts on this one?