now im stumped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
now im stumped

2005 F350 6.0l powerstroke. Had over heating problems led to bigger problems, changed the EGR cooler, oil cooler new thermostat egr valve, should have just got a delete kit. changed all gaskets. 15000 miles later truck shut off when stopped turned right back on but now its overheating again and to make it better my a/c is only working on defrost and my battery light is on i has autozone check the alternator it was bad changed it alternator is good now but bat light still on and still having over heat problems a/c stuck on defrost......... did my truck give up or am i missing something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
information regurgitator

4x4? If so, you have a vac leak somewhere.
Next would be to get the batteries load tested. Autozone does that for nothing. I suggest doing that pronto, since low voltage being fed to your FICM can fry it.
Explain "overheating" is it puking coolant?
Did it puke coolant before?
Do you have gauges (not the idiot lights/fake gauges on the dash)?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes its 4x4 i will take my truck down to have the batteries load tested i let them charge over night, i have gauges before it would just run hot ended up burning out my oil cooler but now its actually spilling out of the line where it meets my thermostat i just replaced the thermostat to see if it would fix it now its not so much around the thermostat but still a spray i made sure the fitting was tight and the clamp was secure, also on that the resivoir is boiling and steaming there is a small spot on the seal that is blowing steam like mad when it gets hot. i have a complete digital gauge for exhaust temp trans and coolant temp, coolant wise it hangs around 190 to 205 and then the fans come on and it will rise up around 240-250 i lose some power and steam starts coming from under the hood im just stuck i have changed almost everything on this motor it has 150k miles on it and at 135k is when i had everything new put on including a full seal and gasket job i just want to see if i can fix it before i spend the money on a new truck
Old 08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
information regurgitator

When the fan kicks on it gets HOTTER?
Who did the work before? Did they test the truck for a popped head gasket? Becuase that is what this sounds like. When you run the truck up to temp, and hammer the accelerator and it pukes, have you ever got out and felt how hard the upper radiator hose is?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The oil cooler and thermostat i did but after that i had Ford do a seal and gasket job, they also put in a titanium head stud kit at 135k miles. when it pukes the hose is hard till it cools and pressure depletes when the fans kick on its pretty instant rise in tempurature which is the opposite of what should happen
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM
information regurgitator

You didn't answer my gauges question. Do you have any type of REAL (not the dash) gauge for temps? How about an oil temp gauge?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

digital gauge for exhaust temp trans and coolant temp from Intellitronix they were on the truck when i bought it so i dont know how acurate they are or if there just linked to the one on the dash i know the temp gauge goes up on the dash before the digital on mounted next to my door does. i also have a boost guage mounted on the steering colum the only oil gauge is the oil pressure in the dash.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 PM
information regurgitator

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would bet the farm that your head gaskets are gone again.
The FORD procedure for checking for flat/straight isn't exactly all that it should be.
The heads really should be sent out to a qualified machine shop capable of milling these heads.
To achieve flat/straight, they can not machine off more than 0.07 and if they must, you need new heads. The heads also should have been magnafluxed for cracks at the exhaust valve seats, since this is where they tend to crack.
If the heads were not properly prepped (as outlined above), the chances of a second head gasket failure raises quite a bit.

There is a chance that this is just a failed EGR cooler, but judging by the bubbles you see at idle, I do not think so.

I pm'd a couple of certified techs on here to have them take a look at this thread. Give them a bit of time and they will pop in and tell me just how wrong I am.....
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

A few different thoughts here.

First, I would take a temp gun and measure the temp difference at the inlet and outlet hoses of the radiator. Just curious if the thermostat is opening of correctly, or if the radiator is cooling the coolant properly.

Second, what sort of coolant are you using, and is it diluted properly? I once had a truck that someone put straight anti-freeze in. It kept overheating and it took awhile to figure out. Straight anti-freeze does not absorb heat as well as when it's diluted with water.

Third, I would install a pressure tester and see how much pressure you're building in your coolant system. If it starts building pressure and just keeps going up and up then I would suspect head gaskets.

One last thing, are you sure the water pump is working properly? Could be something as stupid as a spun impeller.

The vacuum issue is unrelated. These trucks use an electrical vacuum pump so it has nothing to do with the engine.

I'm confused with what all you've had done to the truck and when it was done. You have had head gaskets? How long ago, and were they OEM gaskets? What was the reason you did the repairs 15000 miles ago? Blown EGR cooler? Oil in the coolant?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by super350 View Post
yes its 4x4 i will take my truck down to have the batteries load tested i let them charge over night, i have gauges before it would just run hot ended up burning out my oil cooler but now its actually spilling out of the line where it meets my thermostat i just replaced the thermostat to see if it would fix it now its not so much around the thermostat but still a spray i made sure the fitting was tight and the clamp was secure, also on that the resivoir is boiling and steaming there is a small spot on the seal that is blowing steam like mad when it gets hot. i have a complete digital gauge for exhaust temp trans and coolant temp, coolant wise it hangs around 190 to 205 and then the fans come on and it will rise up around 240-250 i lose some power and steam starts coming from under the hood im just stuck i have changed almost everything on this motor it has 150k miles on it and at 135k is when i had everything new put on including a full seal and gasket job i just want to see if i can fix it before i spend the money on a new truck
How long does it stay around 190-205? And what makes the temp go up higher then that? Does it do this just sitting idling? I'm guessing what you're trying to say here is once the fan kicks on the temps just keep rising and rising. Sounds like the cooling system is not flowing thru the radiator properly. What from is the question now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.