6.0 diesel whistling noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 diesel whistling noise

2005 Ford F-250 approx. 84,000 miles

First it is not turbo whine. The whistling noise happens when I left off the accelerator. It only happens when the truck is warmed up also. I think it might be this "wastegate" - I just do not know enough about turbo's. To me it has to have something to do with the turdo. Please let me know and I appreciate everyones input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 10:46 PM

Is it more of a hoot than a whistle? Some call it a singing turbo. It's pressure being released through the coolant cap. Could be faulty.I changed mine and the sound went away for a while. My problem was headgaskets. Hasn't made the sound since they got changed.I would just change the cap (they're cheap) and see what it does.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you

I changed the coolant cap and the noise went away. I am a little worried about you saying that the real problem on your truck was the headgasket.
thanks again
Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After relpacing the coolant cap my whistling noise went away, but it was still blowing water out through the coolant cap. Took it to Ford, there replaced the ERG Cooler and ECT cooler (approx $2,500 under warrenty). Drove my truck about 100 miles still blowing water out. Took it back to Ford, they are installing new heads as we speak(covered under warrenty, have 86,00 miles). Hopefully this will fix the problems. The tech at Ford said it most most likely caused by me tuning the engine (superchips) because it causes higher pressures. What are yalls thoughts on that. I am leaving in two weeks headed to Talladega, AL (approx 1,500 miles around trip) pulling almost 12,000 pounds (camper and such) and i do not want to experience any problems.
Thanks everyone,
Daryl
Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM

Get them to put in headstuds instead of the factory bolts. Don't tow with the tuner.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
congrats on getting covered. where are you located and what dealer?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Why not tow with Tuner? are you saying that because i will not have time to have all the new gaskets seat or because of the higher pressures? I know too many people that tune and tow and have never had any porblems, just curious.

I am located in The Woodlands, TX (just north of Houston), the dealer is Planet Ford in Spring, TX (not even the dealer where I purchased the truck). they offered me a new warrenty for 100,000 miles to 200,000 miles for $2,400 that pretty much covers all lubricated engine parts..
Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf2504x4 View Post
2005 Ford F-250 approx. 84,000 miles

First it is not turbo whine. The whistling noise happens when I left off the accelerator. It only happens when the truck is warmed up also. I think it might be this "wastegate" - I just do not know enough about turbo's. To me it has to have something to do with the turdo. Please let me know and I appreciate everyones input in advance.

I've just noticed something similiar with my 07. Don't know when it started and my truck has 7500 miles on it. I hear this faint whistling at low speed and thought it was the turbo. Maybe I had better get it checked out? Oh, and mine is bone stock no tuner ever.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello View Post
Is it more of a hoot than a whistle? Some call it a singing turbo. It's pressure being released through the coolant cap. Could be faulty.I changed mine and the sound went away for a while. My problem was headgaskets. Hasn't made the sound since they got changed.I would just change the cap (they're cheap) and see what it does.
I think in your case it was the leaky head gasket allowing cylinder presure to pressurize your cooling system beyond the release point for the radiator cap so it vented. In my case the noise is definately associated with the engine.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Whistling Noise - NOT TURBO

My truck is a 2007 F-350 6.0 diesel with 55k miles. The whistling started about 2 months ago. Has been in the shop now 3 times.
a. It is not the turbo. The turbo sound is much higher pitched. After reading several posts, I would agree with the "tea kettle" sound. It is the same pitched sound everytime....... sounds like AIR escaping somewhere.
b. I am a rookie, and do not profess to be a mechanic.
c. Ford has replaced the turbo, valves, (hope I get this right) EGR valve, EGR cooler and associated hoses and fittings. Truck "whistles" more now than it did!
d. Mechanic rode with me, hears the same thing. He things it's "hoses that may have pin holes? (It's the same pitched sound everytime.....again, not the turbo singing to me when I get on it).
e. I asked about new cap for the DeGas reservoir?
I asked whether it could be head gaskets? He doesn't seem to think either as I am not blowing out coolant from the reservoir, and "the truck doesn't show other signs of head gasket problems" is what he said.
HELP..... I AM TIRED OF THE TEA KETTLE SOUND!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.