Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 diesel whistling noise

61K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
2005 Ford F-250 approx. 84,000 miles

First it is not turbo whine. The whistling noise happens when I left off the accelerator. It only happens when the truck is warmed up also. I think it might be this "wastegate" - I just do not know enough about turbo's. To me it has to have something to do with the turdo. Please let me know and I appreciate everyones input in advance.

#2 ·
Is it more of a hoot than a whistle? Some call it a singing turbo. It's pressure being released through the coolant cap. Could be faulty.I changed mine and the sound went away for a while. My problem was headgaskets. Hasn't made the sound since they got changed.I would just change the cap (they're cheap) and see what it does.

#9 ·
I think in your case it was the leaky head gasket allowing cylinder presure to pressurize your cooling system beyond the release point for the radiator cap so it vented. In my case the noise is definately associated with the engine.

#4 ·
After relpacing the coolant cap my whistling noise went away, but it was still blowing water out through the coolant cap. Took it to Ford, there replaced the ERG Cooler and ECT cooler (approx $2,500 under warrenty). Drove my truck about 100 miles still blowing water out. Took it back to Ford, they are installing new heads as we speak(covered under warrenty, have 86,00 miles). Hopefully this will fix the problems. The tech at Ford said it most most likely caused by me tuning the engine (superchips) because it causes higher pressures. What are yalls thoughts on that. I am leaving in two weeks headed to Talladega, AL (approx 1,500 miles around trip) pulling almost 12,000 pounds (camper and such) and i do not want to experience any problems.
Thanks everyone,
Daryl

#13 ·
The tech at Ford said it most most likely caused by me tuning the engine (superchips) because it causes higher pressures. What are yalls thoughts on that. I am leaving in two weeks headed to Talladega, AL (approx 1,500 miles around trip) pulling almost 12,000 pounds (camper and such) and i do not want to experience any problems.
Thanks everyone,
Daryl
I don't disagree with him. Bone stock trucks have been known to blow headgaskets, but adding a programmer increases the probability of a HG failure.

If it were me, I would not tow that much that far with the Superchips.

Just my $.02.

#6 ·
congrats on getting covered. where are you located and what dealer?

#7 ·
Why not tow with Tuner? are you saying that because i will not have time to have all the new gaskets seat or because of the higher pressures? I know too many people that tune and tow and have never had any porblems, just curious.

I am located in The Woodlands, TX (just north of Houston), the dealer is Planet Ford in Spring, TX (not even the dealer where I purchased the truck). they offered me a new warrenty for 100,000 miles to 200,000 miles for $2,400 that pretty much covers all lubricated engine parts..

#8 ·
I've just noticed something similiar with my 07. Don't know when it started and my truck has 7500 miles on it. I hear this faint whistling at low speed and thought it was the turbo. Maybe I had better get it checked out? Oh, and mine is bone stock no tuner ever.

#10 ·
Whistling Noise - NOT TURBO

My truck is a 2007 F-350 6.0 diesel with 55k miles. The whistling started about 2 months ago. Has been in the shop now 3 times.
a. It is not the turbo. The turbo sound is much higher pitched. After reading several posts, I would agree with the "tea kettle" sound. It is the same pitched sound everytime....... sounds like AIR escaping somewhere.
b. I am a rookie, and do not profess to be a mechanic.
c. Ford has replaced the turbo, valves, (hope I get this right) EGR valve, EGR cooler and associated hoses and fittings. Truck "whistles" more now than it did!
d. Mechanic rode with me, hears the same thing. He things it's "hoses that may have pin holes? (It's the same pitched sound everytime.....again, not the turbo singing to me when I get on it).
e. I asked about new cap for the DeGas reservoir?
I asked whether it could be head gaskets? He doesn't seem to think either as I am not blowing out coolant from the reservoir, and "the truck doesn't show other signs of head gasket problems" is what he said.
HELP..... I AM TIRED OF THE TEA KETTLE SOUND! :)

#21 ·
My truck is a 2007 F-350 6.0 diesel with 55k miles. The whistling started about 2 months ago. Has been in the shop now 3 times.
a. It is not the turbo. The turbo sound is much higher pitched. After reading several posts, I would agree with the "tea kettle" sound. It is the same pitched sound everytime....... sounds like AIR escaping somewhere.
b. I am a rookie, and do not profess to be a mechanic.
c. Ford has replaced the turbo, valves, (hope I get this right) EGR valve, EGR cooler and associated hoses and fittings. Truck "whistles" more now than it did!
d. Mechanic rode with me, hears the same thing. He things it's "hoses that may have pin holes? (It's the same pitched sound everytime.....again, not the turbo singing to me when I get on it).
e. I asked about new cap for the DeGas reservoir?
I asked whether it could be head gaskets? He doesn't seem to think either as I am not blowing out coolant from the reservoir, and "the truck doesn't show other signs of head gasket problems" is what he said.
HELP..... I AM TIRED OF THE TEA KETTLE SOUND! :)
I drive a 6.4 but I had sort of the same issue you had. Mine turned out to be a pin sized hole in the intercooler. Dealer kept the truck two weeks before they figured out the problem. I know the 6.0 is known for blowing headgaskits but I'm just giving you something else to look for other than the gaskits. Good luck and hopefully you find the issue.

#12 ·
record the sound, put it on youtube and post the link. maybe that will make it easier to troubleshoot. does it do it while the truck is parked? if so, pop the hood and have someone repeat the circumstances with the camera and walk around the engine bay....point out the location you hear the sound coming from.

#17 ·
Fordf2504x4 I just had heads and headgaskets done on my truck. I was told the same thing about the high pressure causing the heads and gaskets to fail.I had headstuds put in at the same time. I was told not to tow anything without switching from street tune to tow tune.Hope this helps.Good luck......Terry

#18 ·
Head gaskets,,,,,Ha,Ha

I think Ford knows they have a problem with the head gaskets.:confused:..They just don't want to put out a recall because they would have to fix to many trucks..They just wait till you have a problem and if it is under 100,000 miles they fix it..other wise it will be on you.:hehe: When the gaskets on my truck went I asked if they were going to change all the head bolts and I was told that ford will only approve of changing the streched one.:confused:..go figure....if one is streched the others aren't far behind,,,that is why I had the ARP studs installed and the improved head gaskets,,,,,now to fix the EGR cooler....Ford had a good truck,,just need to fix the problems instead of using a band-aid!!!!!!:hehe::icon_ford::icon_ford:

#19 ·
The head gasket sets come with a set of new bolts.

Recalls are generally not issued unless there is a safety hazard or concern of environmental damage.

THAT BEING SAID.

When a truck is pumping antifreeze out of the degas bottle because head gaskets have failed and it's running on the ground, does that not pose an environmental hazard?

THAT BEING SAID.

The replacement of the gaskets/bolts with the same components that originally failed can cause a subsequent failure.

THAT BEING SAID....

Generally head gasket failures are seen after overboost, overheating, or the addition of horsepower/increasing cylinder pressure. I am not saying the bolts/gaskets are bulletproof, but a lot of trucks that I heads/gaskets in have turbos that have stuck causing an overboost condition. The latest-greatest reflash helps address this with additional EGR control as well as trouble codes when the turbo sticks, then activating a strategy to de-rate the engine in an attempt to help prevent further engine damage.

THAT BEING SAID,

I'm done for now. :D

#23 ·
6.0 whistling

My truck had been whistling for quite a while, and it was not the turbo. I could hear it even when puttsing around town. I would press the accelerator and could sometimes hear it and also when I let off the accelerator I could hear it. I thought is sounded like air coming out somewhere. I had the truck in for to have head gaskets replaced and head studs put in. When the truck came back, no whistle.

2006 F350 110000km

#32 ·
My truck had been whistling for quite a while, and it was not the turbo. I could hear it even when puttsing around town. I would press the accelerator and could sometimes hear it and also when I let off the accelerator I could hear it. I thought is sounded like air coming out somewhere. I had the truck in for to have head gaskets replaced and head studs put in. When the truck came back, no whistle.

2006 F350 110000km
I think if the air filter housing isn't seated properly you will get a whistling sound maybe that was it

#25 ·
Mine makes a tea kettel sound but its only when I get around 60 MPH or so and I've replaced my Degas cap and even drove with out my degas cap on and it still did it. Some times its louder than others. Is it possible my down pipe is causing this sound cause it does rub my firewall and uppipes.

#26 ·
my 04 was making the same noise, it is the headgaskets, only 70,000 and ford wont touch it, it was 5years and 2 months, good job on the covarage,

I am going to replace myself
how doese this kit sound to you all?

for 1350$ here is what I get

EGR Delete Kit by Sinister Mfg. Company
Black Onyx Head Gaskets by Sinister Mfg. Company
Black Onyx Exhaust Gaskets
ARP Head Stud Set
Ford Factory Oil Cooler Kit
Ford Factory Intake Gaskets
Ford Factory Turbo Hardware/Gasket Kit

is this a good deal? is it missing any key parts?

#30 ·
air coming back out of the air filter? If your feeling air coming out then there is a leak in the housing that needs fixed air should be sucking into the housing no positive presure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.