6.0 issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 issue

I have a 2007 6.0L turbo diesel... 6" lift with 35s... no tuners at any time of its life. It has 173,900 kilometers on it, of various types of driving.. highway, off road, minimal hauling of small trailers.

Today, I was traveling up a steep grade (9%) at a very mild speed of 50km/h. I got to the passing lane and hit the throttle and my diesel emitted a large plume of black smoke and crapped out on me. I managed to limp it to the side of the highway... truck towed back to my place and is now in my driveway.

The truck turns on with no issues and idles without any issues. The check engine light has come on. When idling, there is no sign of heavy smoke coming from the exhaust. The turbo indicator does not move or register any pressure. I press down the throttle and its revs with no issues until 1100RPM... then it starts to shudder, puke black smoke mixed with a little blue and will not power more then 2,000RPM...

I am leaning towards my turbo being blown.. I'm looking for any ideas of what it could be.. I am no where near a dealership to get it checked, nor do I have codes to figure out the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

further to my last... I let it sit for approximately 4 hours.. went back out and started it, again no issues like before... only difference now is I can put it into drive.. press the accelerator and get full power... I braved the road and got full power, with about 10psi on my turbo reading... looking in my mirror though, a large plume of blue oil type smoke was coming from my exhaust...

I'm totally stumped.. I can't get it to a dealer or mechanic.. the check engine light is still on.. any ideas?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to strokenit Send a message via MSN to strokenit
u check your intercooler boots? my bro blew a hole in the side of one of his.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTower_07 View Post
I'm totally stumped.. I can't get it to a dealer or mechanic.. the check engine light is still on.. any ideas?
Start by getting the codes read.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not in a posistion to have the codes read... a few hours from civilization
Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
information regurgitator

Without a way to get the codes, you would spend a small fortune "throwing parts" at it until you finally found the right part.

Here is a list of things you can do without spending any cash beyond cleaning supplies.
Clean the EBP sensor. This sensor is attached at the front FICM bracket on the valve cover on the drivers side. It is a sensor sitting on top of a stainless steel tube. Use two wrenches so that you don't twist the tube, clean the sensor and the tube. You can squirt brake cleaner down the tube and use a long piece of tie-wire. You can not hurt anything by sticking something down that tube because it only goes to the exhaust manifold.
Clean the EGR valve. <link>
Check the rubber hose that comes off of the intake manifold and goes toward the heater box on the passenger side of the truck. This is the MAP sensor hose. Check the hose for pinholes and cracks from end to end. Replace if necessary. Where it connects to the intake manifold, the nipple...use an allen wrench or something similar that you can not drop down into the manifold, and stick it in the hole. Just to make sure the hole is open and free flowing.

Living that far away from the world and owning this truck, you really should have one of THESE with the Ford bundle. That thing will nail it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.