Quote I was given to fix my 6.0 problems. FAIR? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote I was given to fix my 6.0 problems. FAIR?

This is what I was quoted on my 6.0 problem. Can anyone help me in finding the best price on parts on the net? Where would you go to buy on the net?
Thanks !

And how do any of you feel about the quotes I was giving to accomplish my 6.0 problems? Labor verses the parts quote? reasonable?

this is what I need to get done.
http://home.mchsi.com/~hunting_veritas/parts.jpg

This is what I paid today.
http://home.mchsi.com/~hunting_veritas/cost_0002.jpg

Last edited by sM319; 08-10-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add a link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,448
Thanks: 5
Thanked 95 Times in 90 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sM319 View Post
This is what I was quoted on my 6.0 problem. Can anyone help me in finding the best price on parts on the net? Where would you go to buy on the net?
Thanks !

And how do any of you feel about the quotes I was giving to accomplish my 6.0 problems? Labor verses the parts quote? reasonable?


http://home.mchsi.com/~hunting_veritas/parts.jpg
Those prices are insane! What problems are you having?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere around Atlanta
Posts: 3,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$105 to install programmer AND egr delete? That seems cheap to me. Like, too cheap. What kind of kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,448
Thanks: 5
Thanked 95 Times in 90 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I didn't even notice the labor. I was paying attention to the parts cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Frederick MD.
Posts: 1,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow, that's quite a list.

Not sure what issues you're having, but there's a lot going on there.

First, I'm not sure what they mean by the "turbo inlet VGT part". I can see taking the turbo apart and cleaning it, but there charging you for some part and labor on that?

Second, most EGR delete kits are going to run you about $150-$300, and most chips are around $400 bucks. Not sure what chip your getting, and they must be getting you an gold plated EGR delete kit at those prices......

The HPOP is a little high on price, but not horrible for most shop markups. The labor for doing something like that should be 8 hours max, really it takes around 3-4. Doing an EGR delete and HPOP at the same time should help on the labor though. Not sure what their labor rates are so it's hard to say.

I could do an EGR delete, head gaskets and head studs, oil cooler, and a chip for less then that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere around Atlanta
Posts: 3,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Wow, that's quite a list.

Not sure what issues you're having, but there's a lot going on there.

First, I'm not sure what they mean by the "turbo inlet VGT part". I can see taking the turbo apart and cleaning it, but there charging you for some part and labor on that?

Second, most EGR delete kits are going to run you about $150-$300, and most chips are around $400 bucks. Not sure what chip your getting, and they must be getting you an gold plated EGR delete kit at those prices......

The HPOP is a little high on price, but not horrible for most shop markups. The labor for doing something like that should be 8 hours max, really it takes around 3-4. Doing an EGR delete and HPOP at the same time should help on the labor though. Not sure what their labor rates are so it's hard to say.

I could do an EGR delete, head gaskets and head studs, oil cooler, and a chip for less then that though.
Ya, ridiculous price on the kit, but cheaper than dirt for labor. Like wtf? Um sir, you should prob get help on here and then find a different shop. Those prices are all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Frederick MD.
Posts: 1,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's hard to tell because they want to do so much at once. I'm sure the quote doesn't really break it down right. Because if they are going to pull everything to get to the HPOP then installing an EGR delete wouldn't be much more labor to do.

Either way, it seems quite high, and they seem to want to do a lot at once. But since we don't know what issues you're having I really can't say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok here is what the deal is.

My father just bought the trk with 110,000 miles and towed a 5th wheel trailer to Texas and back to the midwest.

He said it towed great. He had a stroke a few wks latter. The trk sat for like a month. I got into it and it took the diesel to get up to temperature before it ran normal.

It sat for another 2 wks and same thing. I took it out on thehighway and it just died. took it to a shop and they put in new HPOP and ICP and IPR.

I got it back and the trk would not have any power until engine got up to temperature.

It latter started running like it was on high idle then started running rough.

Took it to the dealership here and replaced the IPR and said the ICP was not tight. Also said I had turbo codes and egr codes. Also said that was some metal shavings in the IPR and was directly from the Injection pump.

So, I paid the $3500 to get it out until I can come up with the $5000 they want now to correct all the issues.

It seems to run fine and I can start it up and drive it without it being up to engine temperature. But worried about driving it to much because of the Injection pump/ metal shaving from it. Creating the same problems withthe IPR ICP.

I am new to diesels.

Last edited by sM319; 08-10-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add more content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Somewhere around Atlanta
Posts: 3,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sM319 View Post
Ok here is what the deal is.

My father just bought the trk with 110,000 miles and towed a 5th wheel trailer to Texas and back to the midwest.

He said it towed great. He had a stroke a few wks latter. The trk sat for like a month. I got into it and it took the diesel to get up to temperature before it ran normal.

It sat for another 2 wks and same thing. I took it out on thehighway and it just died. took it to a shop and they put in new HPOP and ICP and IPR.

I got it back and the trk would not have any power until engine got up to temperature.

It latter started running like it was on high idle then started running rough.

Took it to the dealership here and replaced the IPR and said the ICP was not tight. Also said I had turbo codes and egr codes. Also said that was some metal shavings in the IPR and was directly from the Injection pump.

So, I paid the $3500 to get it out until I can come up with the $5000 they want now to correct all the issues.
Wow. Just curious, wheres your location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Frederick MD.
Posts: 1,965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would probably be looking more at FICM/injector issues then anything else they quoted. It probably died on you do to an IPR issue, but if it's running fine once it warms up then that points more to FICM/injector problems. I think I'd be looking for a second opinion......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors