loud whining noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question loud whining noise

Please help! I own an '06 F250 PSD FX4. This is my first Powerstroke and I love it. I have been hearing a loud whining noise at times upon takeoff or acceleration. The noise is similar to the noises described by those towing up a long hill, but it does this at times just driving around town.The noise does not occur all the time and sounds like a loud fan kicking on. It may only last a second or it may last several seconds. I did not notice it until the summer months when the weather got hot, so I thought it may be some sort of cooling fan. Is this some sort of fan? If so, is it normal to kick on and off like that around town? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider1 View Post
Please help! I own an '06 F250 PSD FX4. This is my first Powerstroke and I love it. I have been hearing a loud whining noise at times upon takeoff or acceleration. The noise is similar to the noises described by those towing up a long hill, but it does this at times just driving around town.The noise does not occur all the time and sounds like a loud fan kicking on. It may only last a second or it may last several seconds. I did not notice it until the summer months when the weather got hot, so I thought it may be some sort of cooling fan. Is this some sort of fan? If so, is it normal to kick on and off like that around town? Thanks for the help.
yes it is a cooling fan.And if it's hot enough outside and your truck temp get up there it will come on "also check your coolant to make sure it's full
Old 08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
that would be your fan clutch engaging, causing your fan to spin faster to draw in more cooling air. no worries my friend, it is totally normal.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help! One more question, when the noise started today, I stepped on the accelerator a bit and the rpm's wound up but the truck did not "take off" like it does when the whining noise is not happening. Is this a normal lag when the fan kicks on? Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yep thats normal too,it takes some power to turn the fan.just be glad its not like the newer mack's at my work,when the fan kicks in on them you lose like 70 horsepower
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. It just seemed like it did not want to go for a second. Will an exhaust and/or intake help this "lag" in power?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
There are LOTS of things that will help you make more power on that 6.0

When the fan comes on, it is moving LOTS of air... just make sure your coolant is good and you should be good to go.

Also, the turbo will make a whine or jet engine sound... when you floor it from a stop, that will take a second or so to spool up... so if its a loud whistle you're hearing - this is what it is and YES, and intake AND exhaust will help it spool faster and reduce your "lag"
Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Oh yah, and WELCOME to the .ORG!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
the stock exhaust is pretty restrictive compared to a 4'' or 5'' kit. putting one of these in will help in the lag department, as for making more power i dont know. i didnt really feel that much in the power area but it sounds a lot better! if you are wanting more power, i suggest a tuner, but you need to have a good set of gauges first so you can see what temps you are running at.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

I am having this with my 06. It also does it when I am parked and rev the motor up. The more RPM's, the louder it gets. It sounds like a vaccum is getting closer and closer to my ear. There also is a burning smell when I let off after it does this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.