EOT/ECT DELTAS,higher egts. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EOT/ECT DELTAS,higher egts.

OK so I finally drove my truck after putting in a new oil cooler and doing the egr delete.I am a little disapointed because the delta is still 9-10 degrees,so I am trying to figure out what I did wrong ? I see most saying they are within 5 degrees after making the changes.Before I did the oil cooler and egr delete,my delta was 30degrees. I did do the restore and restore plus before doing the replacements,so yes I did perform the flushes before replacing the oil cooler.The one thing I could have did wrong is, I did not take the coolant filter off or bypass it while doing the flushes,could this have caused me a problem when doing the flushes ?

The other thing I noticed is my egt temperature are about 100 degrees higher then normal,not sure why.The truck runs fine ,idles perfect not a miss ,starts right up everytime.I am not getting any dtc codes.My boost seems to be down some like 23 -24 lbs,before the egr delete it would sometimes hit 27 or 28 lbs.

Oh yeah i drove on flats at 65 mph it was reading 192 ect and oil was 200- 202.Please give my your thoughts,I am sort of in the gutter because I have been working on this for over a month ,up late at night and early mornings trying to get it fixed and now I feel like it beat me.I am not giving up but seeing a 10 degree delta right away has really p.ssed me off.If I have to I will get the bpd oil cooler as my truck only has 42000 miles on it.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated,thanks Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

All the air is out of the cooling system? How old is that tstat?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Motor Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
All the air is out of the cooling system? How old is that tstat?
not sure about the air,i would say no .the tsat is new.thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Banned

change the oil yet?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Motor Head.

yes all new fluids.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
I did not take the coolant filter off or bypass it while doing the flushes,could this have caused me a problem when doing the flushes ?
Nope, other than having to change your filter sooner.
Quote:
The other thing I noticed is my egt temperature are about 100 degrees higher then normal,not sure why.The truck runs fine ,idles perfect not a miss ,starts right up everytime.I am not getting any dtc codes.My boost seems to be down some like 23 -24 lbs,before the egr delete it would sometimes hit 27 or 28 lbs.
There is no reason why your egt's are higher, UNLESS you have the CEL lit up and have the egr delete codes. This does raise the egt's. I can't explain why, but I see this phenomenon on my truck when the CEL is lit for the P0401 (insufficient egr flow detected) code.
Quote:
Oh yeah i drove on flats at 65 mph it was reading 192 ect and oil was 200- 202.Please give my your thoughts,I am sort of in the gutter because I have been working on this for over a month ,up late at night and early mornings trying to get it fixed and now I feel like it beat me.I am not giving up but seeing a 10 degree delta right away has really p.ssed me off.If I have to I will get the bpd oil cooler as my truck only has 42000 miles on it.
What do your gauges read before you start the truck up in the morning? The cold readings should be the same or maybe a degree or two from eachother.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Motor Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Nope, other than having to change your filter sooner.

There is no reason why your egt's are higher, UNLESS you have the CEL lit up and have the egr delete codes. This does raise the egt's. I can't explain why, but I see this phenomenon on my truck when the CEL is lit for the P0401 (insufficient egr flow detected) code.

What do your gauges read before you start the truck up in the morning? The cold readings should be the same or maybe a degree or two from eachother.
The gauge readings are the same ect/eot when the truck is cold.no dtcs the funny thing is i had codes before doing the egr cooler delete,I think it was p401 or p402 ,believe it said excessive flow or something.Now i did put the egr valve back and it's plugged in too.

I am somewhat lost ,I cut my old oil cooler apart and it didnt look as bad as some of the others that have been posted up on this site, however I did have a 30 degree delta before replacing so had to be something going on.

Could I have gotten a bad cooler ?For the higher egts is there anything I may have taken apart that might cause it,intake,exhaust......? Now I did notice at idle my egt is lower.thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
10 degrees at 65 is normal even with a new cooler. What's your delta at 55?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Motor Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
10 degrees at 65 is normal even with a new cooler. What's your delta at 55?
not sure at 55. I will check .Ok well maybe I am overeacting.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Did mine about 500 miles ago. My delta is 5-7 it has hit 8 for a very short time. My coolant temp hasn't been over 202 and oil hasn't been over 207. One thing I've noticed after the change, my temps tend to follow each other. If my cooler temp drops due to the thermostat opening the oil temp drops also. This tells me heat is being exchanged in the cooler. It didn't happen before. I havn't towed heavy with it yet. I don't expect any problems. Sometimes I wander how folks deltas can be 2 -3. How are they measuring them. The engine is gonna make heat. A lot of that heat is picked up in the oil. The passages in that oil cooler is where the heat is exchanged into the coolant. Now that heat has to be dissapated through the radiator. The temp of the coolant is determined by how effective the radiator is at getting rid of the heat brought in. The oil temp is determined by how much can be transformed into the coolant. (yeah some heat is lost just by returning it back to pan) The 15 degree delta you keep hearing about is not as much of a temp differance to say o no 15 degrees time to tear the engine down. Its more a hey the coolant in getting plugged in the oil cooler, it ain't getting much into the egr cooler. Egr could rupture from excess heat an dump water into some places that ain't friendly on you motor. I think it would be nice to have a flow indicator coming back to tank (radiator) sorry I'm a maintenance guy and thinking hydralics here. I ain't really a diesel mechanic I put things into perspective I see as a industrial maintenance guy. I wouldn't worry about 10 degrees, sure beat 30 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.