Newbie getting schooled on 6.0 PSDs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie getting schooled on 6.0 PSDs

Hey Ya'll,

Like the thread title states....learning a painful lesson.

But first....I want to thank everyone here for their expertise and generosity in sharing their life's lessons. I've leaned soooooo much in the last few days.

Background:

Vehicle: 2005 F-350 King Ranch, bought use with 40K. 102K now. Preformed (what I thought, as a gasser) routine maintainance. LOL....ignorant first time diesel owner. Excellent truck until recently.....on a trip from Texas to Florida and back.

Troubles begin:

Water in fuel msg, pull over on side of I-10 in dark and drain separator.....soaked head to toe in diesel. Shower at next truck stop....light stays off rest of way to Florida. Next morning, light on again....dealer cleans and replaces sensor.....no more problems - $180, for a week that is. Head west.....FICM craps out in Biloxi.....dealer again 1,100 repair. Runs great.....hit the interstate again and about an hour later dreaded wrench light comes on. Pull over, call dealer ASAP and reassured vehicle will be fine until I get home....about 500 miles. Light goes off each time I stop to gas up, only to come again 30-45 min later. Truck runs fine!!!!! No power loss.

Get home and scurry through posts.....many reasons for wrench light. Take to local dealer and they can't get to it for a week and it'll be 100 bucks to investigate....no problem until then, they say. Me not thinking the same. Light stays off for local driving....now thinking maybe the Flashing upgrade cause a temporay misccomunication......opposite, more sensitive to systems

Then I drive to Austin......light comes on.....I swing by COVERT FORD (I will always give them my buisness) and leave running and ask them to pull codes. They immediately investigate (and they were swamped) and the diesel mechanic COMES OUT and actually speaks with me for over 30 minutes. Explains that Oil Cooler is restricted but EGR seems fine, for now....Toss him a 20 and baby it home and begin research.....this is where y'all come in......

Once I search oil cooler restriction......a wealth of information pops up, which leads to more and more and more. OMG soooooo much info, advice, guides. Y'all are great!!!! I think I have a grasp of the situation......Ford designed a POS!!!!! But these problems have seem to been identified and solutions are available......at the cost of those before me.

Where I am today: (or thought I was until a few minutes ago)

Truck has been sitting in drive for 3 days now......no leaks.....until this morning. I go to check on things and see a puddle underneath, still dripping from Degas bottle.....which is now empty with white residue on various things underneath. It's been sitting....what happened since yesterday...LOL. Only about a pint.

Repairs/upgrade that I was planning, but maybe I ought to do more:

1. Flush, get gold crap out replace with silicate free

2. Clean turbo since I have it out.

3. Replace ERG with BPD EGR cooler....don't want delete. clean/replace valve as needed

4. Replace oil cooler, can't find upgrade to stock. and can't afford/or think BPD's bypass is worth the extra money now that I better understand how to keep it clean.

5. Add sinister coolant filter....great idea!!!!!

6. Replace fuel pressure spring.....for $75...no brainer

This was all I was going to do, and can afford at this point.

Was going to add something to monitor temps and pressures later when I have more cash.

7. Head bolts.....tedious job, expensive, and time consuming. THIS is where my concern came in this morning.....

Advice being sought:

Since this is the first sign of coolant loss....what are the chances the head gaskets are still intact? Can I check them? Run a compression test or something else?

I have yet to tear into any of this.....so i have no idea what shape the EGR cooler is in.

*****But first I want to flush the cooling system and crud-up the old coolers. My major concern is the water coming from the degas bottle and my need to drive the truck for so long during the flushing procedure. If the heads are OK now....can I blow them trying to flush?

I know, i know rather lengthy....but I hope I painted a picture of the problems and the solutions, as I seem them.

Any advice, concerns, comments are most welcome......

I love this truck and plan on keeping it until I pass on.....with the reccomendations I've read.....once completed, it should fuflill my wishes.

Thx Y'all

PapaJahn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
The Silent Service

Its not the design as much as Ford's use of the Gold Coolant that is the root source of the main problem with the oil cooler. You have a good grasp of the indications, but I don't see any ECT/EOT listed. That is the single most important thing to monitor on these trucks.

Loss of coolant is a good sign that the EGR cooler is gone. You may/may not have caught it in time. It could be a bad cap on the Degas Bottle failing on you, could be a leak somewhere else. Loss of coolant isn't the end all for gaskets, what color is your exhuast on start up?

A Coolant flush, before rebuilding the oil cooler (kit is around 1/2 the price of a new oil cooler) is a good start. What you need to do though is get a ScangaugeII, or Edge Insight Monitor and keep an eye on your motor. You'd also be able to pull the codes yourself. A delta of 15* is the time to rebuild the oil cooler and get rid of that Gold Coolant.

One last thing whenever you replace the EGR Cooler, or rebuild the Oil Cooler, do both while your under the hood. Save the time and labor costs by getting both done at once.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

CD....that was quick. Your posts have been extemely helpful in my learning.

After further investigation the coolant obviously can from the cap....it is moist and all the residue begins there.

I am planing to immediately complete steps 1-6 above. But again....I'm still worried about runing it at Temp during the flushing procedure.

Now I didn't say this the first time, but the diesel mechanic did mention the change in temps....22 difference. So I knew then that the oil cooler was going to need replacing. Then I learned about EGR coolers, delete vs BPD. Then Coolant filters, fuel pressure spring, sythetic oils (although I've kept up on changes anyhow), and many other things.

Finally, I read up on flushing procedures.....and was stunned. Found a local place to find Restore and restore plus. I follow the flushing procedure very well.....right up to the part with flushing with distilled water. Now I understand WHY, I just don't know how.....other than to keep pour jugs into the system. How many would this take????

As for you scan tools....absolutely.....1 Sept there's bought and installed/used.

I'm a retired GI with 100% disability and live off my retirement and disability. AND until the last few days was wondering if those checks were still coming...LOL.

Thank you again for you advice.....but I'll ask again. CAN I cause further damage but runing the engine during the flushing procedure? i don't see not flushing as an option...... I guess I answered my own question.....LOL

I guess I really ought to ask......Is it worth the risk of only completely steps 1-6, adding the scanning tools 1 sept....or wait until after the first and soak another 1-1.5K into the heads. I'm not sure I can complete the heads on my own....so additional labor costs.....
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM

CD,

Hadn't seen any smoke, just checked again....had my son start while i watched.....none. Truck starts and runs great....I want to keep it that way.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the fittings at the bottom of the degas reservoir. The metal inserts in mine came loose from inside the plastic reservoir and were causing my leak.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Freek......too funny!!!! i just came in from refilling and making a short jaunt to get some beer. I traced the leak to exactly where you said. Then it dawned on me that the dealer that replaced my FICM had to remove the degas bottle to get at the FICM.

Good call....I will remove the degas in the morning and inspect. I will also replace with screw clamps....i think they hold better.

Drinking a cold one to ya!!!!!

PJ
Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

lol, well glad you found it. I ended up having to replace mine due to a crack on the plastic fitting. I'm trying to find another coolant leak now and stumbled across yours. I think its from the pump for me this time...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

First, thanks for your service. I am not as knowledgable as most of the guys here. However, i have been blowing coolant out my degas bottle for about 65k miles. In the beginning, new i had 2 egr coolers replaced and sill blowing coolant out the cap. I would take it in to the dealer and they would test it and say degas bottle fine. It would hold whatever the required psi was. I would drive and the SOB would leake coolant nad pi$$ me off. I would take it back to dealer, they test it and round and round. 1 day i was near dealer and it blew coolant and i took it in and they said "oh yea, it is leaking". another pressure test and they say they could not find anything. So, i even mentioned the cap and they said it had to ne good. So, i bought a new one out of my pocket for a total of like $14.00 and change. That stopped the puking for a good 6 months then it started again. it still does it from time to time. I have 93k on truck and until end of year or 100k until warrenty is out. I don't know to buy extended warranty or use that money for EGR delete or take a chance. Truck is only weekend driver now, paid off in great shape and like you want to keep it. Hard call, But you may want to buy a new degas cap. Only about $15.00. Worked for me for a while. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 AM
information regurgitator

What exactly did that dealership test?
There is a specific FORD TSB for this occurance (09-08-03) that requires extensive testing and not just a pressure check to see what it holds.
Under warranty they have to drive it HARD under full load and hot. If it pukes, they MUST remove the EGR cooler and test it off the truck separately. If it fails, the must replace the egr and the oil coolers, then retest. If it pukes again, your head gaskets are toast.

LINK TO TSB

As an EDIT: Find another dealership that KNOWS the 6.0, the one you used certainly does not.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 08-09-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM
information regurgitator

PapaJahn:

If your mechanically inclined, have a good selection of SAE and metric tools (inch/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches) and are able to work on the truck yourself, I have a link in my sig that you can use to replace your own oil cooler and egr cooler, if your interested.

If you want some background info on the engine, click the following three links and download the whole series of books. LINK 1, LINK 2 and finally LINK 3.
Link 1 is the 2003.25 model year "bible" and link #2 is the 2004 model (changes made to the 03) and link #3 is the 2005 model year (with changes made).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.