Surging at little over 2K rpms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Surging at little over 2K rpms

When I go to accelerate it starts surging, not immediately but once it starts getting up aroun 40ish. If I stomp on if from the get go, I don't have the problem. Just under normal acceleration when the engine is under load. No CEL. Some of the articles on here sort of lead to the ICP sensor, but I am not sure. One of the articles that mentioned the ICP sensor also said it might have a loss of power. I only mention that because I cant get the tires to spin if I try. There is plenty of acceleration power but they won't spin. I have 305 55 20 grapplers. I am completely stock. Another thing to add, is that the fuel gauge in the overhead is saying 14.1 mpg. Two of my friends 6.0s at work are both around 19 mpg. Could one of these sensors be bad that they are allowing to much fuel into the system resulting in it flooding and causing it to surge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

In addition:
went to drive it around to get a better idea of the symptoms. It sort of like when you are on the feeder and you start enterning the entrance ramp on the highway. Your not stomping on it, but you accelerating out of the bottom of a gear to get up to highway speeds. I feels as if it bogging down it really doesn't want to accelerate. Maybe lean. Flooding it would poor out black smoke. I wonder if it is a clogged fuel filter? Start with the easy first.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Check your EGR valve. When has it been cleaned last?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently traded the truck so I don't have all the preventive maintenance records. I will clean it first then go from there.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like an air managment issue to me. Start with checking the EGR valve. Make sure the valve moves freely, and is closing completely.

Not sure what year truck you have. Is it an 05 or newer? Do you have a boost gauge?

The symptoms you have sound more like an issue with the turbo VGT control solenoid. This is the solenoid mounted in the turbo. It controls the turbo vanes and regulates how much boost you make. Usually when they are acting up you will get a surging feel under certain loads. You can usually tell this if you have a boost gauge. The boost will be rising and falling erratically. Or the turbo could be hanging up internally, but I doubt it. Usually when that happens you have overall poor performance.

Check the EGR valve, if that looks ok I'd try the VGT solenoid. There a little pricy though. Maybe your buddies will let you steal theres to make sure it's the issue. It's just one 8mm 12 point bolt holding it in. Take the retaining bracket off, the gently twist and pull the solenoid out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.