Help, ICP or HOP problems. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help, ICP or HOP problems.

Hi guys,

I am new to this site and diesel trucks. I bought a 2004 6.0 about three months ago. It has 191,000 on it and it is the newer motor I believe cause the icp is on the passenger valve cover. I will give you all the info I have sense I bought it.

About a two months ago I had some hard starting problems so I researched the forums and came to conclusion it was the FICM and maybe the EGR. I first took out the EGR and it was welded shut with carbon buildup so I slowly worked the valve until it worked freely and cleaned the carbon off. try to start the truck and there was nothing. I then removed the FICM and resolidered all the 16 points I believe it was. I installed the FICM and the truck started right up and ran great up until bout a week ago. I drove it up to castlerock and back to the spring to get the e check for my tags. about a 45 minute drive each way and it ran great. Oh and i passed the e check wit fliing colors from what I was told. I then pulled in to walmart parking lot and it started to sputter and then died and hasnt started sense. I checked the oil level and it was very low so I filled it up thinking there may be a sensor that shuts the engine down when low on oil. I pulled the IPR and there was one or two very tiny metal shavings in the screen. Stuck my finger in the IPR hole and found nothing but oil. the screen isnt dented or ripped. I replaced the IPR and tryed to start the truck and got nothing. I cranked it over several times to see if the low oil level had drained the HPOP resivor and nothing. Yesturday I bought a code reader and with the key on it says P2285 Injector Control
Pressure Sensor Circuit Low. I pulled the ICP connector and checked the voltage and It reads 4.9 volts and I think needs to be 5 volts but is that close enough? I tryed to check the OHMs n the ICP an it read 0, is that right and if not what OHMs should it be. The ICP connector was replaced by some one cause I found the splice. Would the p2285 code come up if I had a HPO leak. It seams like a electrical problem cause the truck just stopped with no performance problems.

Anyways I got this disease called lack of funds syndrome so I really need some solid advice. I was going to use a manual high pressure gauge to check HOP but I cant find one that goes over 1000 psi.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM

Probably a bad sensor or shoddy splice job. Try unplugging the ICP sensor and see if it starts. The PCM reverts to default pressures in the absence of the ICP sensor.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I unplugged the ICP and tryed to start the truck several times and nothing changed, does that mean the ICP is ok for sure and maybe I have a bigger problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM
information regurgitator

Truthfully, I think your trouble is deeper than the ICP.
The "unplug the ICP" test should have allowed the truck to start if the ICP was the only issue. It might not have run very good, but it would have started.
Also, your 4.9 is in range (the range is 4.5-5) so I would say the ICP is ok.

If I was in your shoes I would move to testing the High Pressure Oil system. Standpipes and dummy plugs are a common failure point and on the 04-04's the HPOP is also a well known failure point.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok today I bought a ICP and it was a no start. I also bought a standard high pressure gauge that goes up to 1,5000 psi. I have been trying to get my hands on the right fitting to go from the gauge to the ICP hole so I can check HPO while cranking. I have been everywhere and everyone says that I can't get one that goes from standard to metric treading can anyone help with this. also if I do have a HPO leak then how much air should I apply to hear where it is.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
information regurgitator

Check this thread out for those "special tools" you need to work on the engine:

DO It yourselfers. Tools Needed to fix your 6.0
Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found the problem

Hey guys just wanted to follow up on the repairs.

I got her fixed. It was the FICM half shell power inverter. It was exploded. I replaced it and my truck has never run better. My word of advice is to always check the FICM voltage before anything else. And do not try to solder the points unless you are a pro that is why mine exploded and the half shell is 500 new. the solder repair is around 150 and they give you the new mods from ford with atlease a one year warrenty
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM

TOMT, glad to hear you have resolution. I bought mine used as well, and within the first week, it cut off on me twice in traffic. I forget the codes it coughed, but my friends mechanic suggested changing the oil, oil filter and fuel filters. The fuel filters were unbelievably dirty, and I believe that was my problem, as it ran fine after I changed them. My point - a cheap and easy maintenance item to do, to help ensure your truck is healthy.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where did you send your Ficm in t o have them resolder it?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 PM
information regurgitator

The two best places are:

Swamps Diesel

and

ficmrepair.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hpop, icp, ipr, no start, p2285

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.