Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 ENGINE KNOCKING

97K views 126 replies 21 participants last post by  Hydro 
#1 ·
First, thanks for any help or advise in advance.
I have a 2006 f350 harley 6.0, 140kms,arp studs,egr delete,predator tuner(on tow only,40 hp)studs and delete kit was done at dealer 3000 kms ago.just run out of warranty on the 22nd of July.
First,truck runs perfect but has a knocking noise after engine gets up to temp.
truck idles fine with a very little popping noise kind of driverside by firewall.
When towing or while truck is hot under light acceleration there is a knocking noise on the driver-side,just after the injectors start to open(idle no knocking noise)went 400kms(with trailer) and was knocking quite loud under stop and go traffic.sounds like one cylinder and is consistent with rpm's.
I think it is a injector but no codes on my scanner and the truck runs perfect(except noise)16 mpg towing with trailer.

symptoms=first start up even 35 deg days white haze coming out of exhaust,smells like unburnt diesel(burns eyes).until warmed up,then no smoke.
knocking noise most noticeable under light acceleration.
when i restart in the morning the noise is almost gone again until engine reaches normal temp and does it again.has been doing this for 5000kms,dealer says it is normal but i don't think so.they should come on vacation with me and here it(lol)they say it does not do it for them.
PLEASE HELP WITH AND ADVISE.
Sorry for the long explanation but tried to give all the truck details and symptoms.
thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I HAVE HEARD THIS MANY TIMES IT CAN BE 2 THINGS. 1 IT COULD BE A FUEL KNOCK BUT MOST OF THE ONES I HAVE SEEN THERE IS A AUDIBLE THUMP RIGHT AT DRIVERS DOOR OUTSIDE TRUCK. IF YA WALK AROUND A BIT THE NOISE CHANGES AND IN SOME SPOTS YOU CANNOT HEAR IT AT ALL. THIS IS NORMAL! HAD A GUY PUT A ENGINE IN FOR THIS AND LOW AND BEHOLD THE NEW ENGINE DID SAME THING. I TOLD HIM SO!!

#6 ·
WELL TO BE HONEST WITH YOU IM NOT THERE AND CANT HEAR IT FOR MYSELF BUT FROM WHAT YOUR SAYING IT SOUNDS LIKE THE ONES IVE RUN INTO. IS THERE A WAY YOU CAN RECORD THIS SOUND AND SEND IT TO ME?

#10 ·
Jugernaut,
I have a question,could be related to my problem?
about 6 months ago the dash cluster went bad on me(no radio,windows,mirrors,lights etc)i bought another cluster from a friend and it was a 2005 harley,with lower kms(i documented the old miliage and made a decal for the driversdoor to show the difference in mileage and when it was changed,
BUT, i did not have it programmed to my truck,seemed to work fine.
Could there be a programming difference between a 2005 f350 harley diesel cluster and my 2006 f350 harley diesel cluster?maybe timing or something like that?does the dash operate any of that or just the pcm,and ficm?
thanks,thought this one would be for the expert.

#14 ·
Very hard to diagnose without codes or at least clues on which injector it is...
We use a Prolink scan tool and we can do a contibution test and it gives us a torque change per cylinder and that can lead us on the corrct path, which cylinder..

#15 ·
that sounds like 1 of 2 things. fuel knock = bad injector spraying raw fuel. or a wrist pin.
do you have any metal chips on your oil filter? if you do take a clean magnet and rub it on the side to see if its Ferris or not.

#18 ·
tranny line just blew off coming down the highway tonight,maybe a new tranny. I stopped driving as soon as the tow/haul light started flashing and a kind gentleman yelled at me that something was leaking under the truck.the tranny line to the radiator popped off,no clip on it(think the tech at FORD forgot to put it on when he did the HG's and studs)Can't prove it though)not even a piece of the clip on the line or even a piece of broken clip anywear, and blew out all the fluid.I reinstalled the line(with no clip but not forward,so called tow truck)2.5 hr wait on the side of the road.
i will remove the oil filter and check for metal partials,after i get the tranny back to normal...
thanks for the info..
this knock was there before the HG's and studs,before they took the engine apart,but the knocking gets real loud when towing for 2hrs straight in 35c weather,really noticeable when taking off from a start,not so bad when driving,leaning more to raw fuel and a bad injector.

#19 ·
well under the pistons there are lube tubes that squirt oil at the wrist pin if one of them fell off it would cause this wrist pin sound if that is what it is. now that you say it get louder after driving a while that could be what is wrong with it.

#20 ·
well 11 liters of mercon sp and a retaining clip the tranny is running ok again.
i removed and replaced the oil filter,after close examination there is no metal fragments in the filter at all,i checked every part of the filter and no signs of contaminates..
is there anyway to confirm what u say is true,with the wrist oin oiler?

is it emparitive to repair or replace it?how do I confirm this?

#21 ·
well it serves 2 purposes really it oils the wrist pin and also cools the piston from underneath this is what concerns me because as you drive that piston Will get hotter and hotter.if you had a bore-scope you could look in through the oil drain plug hole but the best way is to drop the oil pan. what you can do is get a bendy magnet and put it through the drain plug hole and see if you can fish anything from inside the pan. if that tube drop out it will be in the bottom of the pan.

#22 ·
With no metal filings in the oil filter.would this tube dislodge,or have to break off?or fall out?i have drained the oil my self about 4000k before the dealer, not finding anything,and the dealer did it for the HG'S too and not seeing it?
I can definitely check again though..is the tube magnetic?
I have rare earth magnets that can be used to bring the tube to the hole if it is magnetic..

#23 ·
yes they fall out and stay in the pan. and easy way is after oil is out take a rubber hammer and hit bottom of pan and listen for this tube bouncing around.i have also seen them stay on the plate above the pan.

#25 ·
i watch and listen your video clip couple of times as loud i can with head phones and i could hear excact same noise i have on my -03 Excurion.

mine had 160 000 miles when i bought it and that sound was the first thing that worries me.
first i thought that it comes from the lifters or worn camshaft, but then i noticed that if im coasting and the OD button is pressed the noise disappears... that leaves me with two thoughts..that the noise is coming from the injectors because if im right the injectors is not operating when coasting with "engine brake"
this is just my opinion. ( wise mans correct if im wrong)
or the second thing what i dont want to be right.
is that i have worn connecting rods or bearings in my downstairs...

now i have 170 000 miles and
i have done all services that can be done to the truck
and head gasgets,arp studs,egr delete,58V FIMC.... and the noise is same.
and just before i bought the truck prev owner had paid lots off money to a shop what have change the HPOP,all injectors, icp sensor and oils couple off times.

now im going to do the banjo bolt and blue spring updates to the engine and switch to full synthetic oil and hope i can get the "injector noise" little less loud...

do i chase a ghost or a real problem...?

#28 ·
No I cannot here anything in park out side of the vehicle(and yes the noise is just when I am light on acceleration,just when the injectors are starting to open,like the pilot injection is off and kind if sounds like the old cummins,as i step on the gas and accelerate it does not make the noise but the engine and turbo are probably muffling it out,and the engine does not shake,idle rough,gets decent mileage,starts perfect when hot and cold,does not burn engine oil or use it.
when i use diesel kleen it seems sometimes to help with the noise but i cannot be sure of that.
I kind of think it is #8 injector knocking,(like it is still working just not spraying right)sometimes when i first start it if i drive it immediately without a warm up there is a pinging noise like a spring(or injector)but when i stop at a light shortly there after THAT noise will go away leaving the knocking noise,as you can here.
I have tried 3 different fuel stations and no change in sound at all.
I changed the fuel filters 3 months ago and about 5000kms.

#29 ·
i have had this nois since i bought the truck.
it had 160k on it and i now 170k
i have change all filters two times and two different oils try to use different fuel stations... and so on..
funny thing is that the truck had just changed HPOP and all 8 injectors when i bought it so could think they are ok... if not reman injectors...

#30 ·
Ok, drained the oil this weekend checked the pan for any metal or tubes,first with a big magnet(nothing)and them i used a rubber mallet and hit the bottom of the pan and i did not here anything bouncing inside(i hit it all over the bottom about 15 different times and no noise.
i do not have access to the boroscope to look inside the pan and the underside of the pistons.
i have not tried the unhooking one injector at a time yet but i will soon.
One thing at a time.
Any other ideas?
should i get the dealer to do a contribution test?and check each injector for firing properly?

#32 ·
Any word on the install of the blue spring kit and the noise?tried seafoam last night no difference,just wondering if the egr delete would cause more engine noise?like i said it is just when the injectors are opening,almost like an exhaust leak but i rechecked 3 times the whole way down including the turbo and the couplers..arhhhhhhhh.
Maybe it's normal for this truck?
going to buy the blue spring kit maybe this weekend and try it also..

#33 ·
my kit just arrived Finland customs office today, so i think i get it next monday.

but i don't think i have spear time next week to install it to truck.

i have my sister mazda mx3 torn appart
little more rust work left then have to do lots of body work before i can paint it and put all together.

i try to get it painted end off next week, problem is that it is not list job, i have to do evry day first ordered jobs and all spear time work with syster car.

no time for my truck before i get the mx3 ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.