Driverside front axle leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driverside front axle leaking

Hi All,

Left my truck parked on a slight incline for about 2 days in my driveway and when I moved it I noticed a small football sized leak on the driveway. After careful inspection, my front drivers side axle is leaking(see pics).

I don't have an idea of how long it's been leaking but based on the amount of fluid on the ground, on my garage floor and on the axle housing it's not a brand new leak.

So, any comments about what needs to fixed replaced? Also, I'm pretty sure this is differential fluid and not grease as it's fairly clear and more "runny" than grease would be. Am I correct and is it possible for diff fluid to leak out of this area?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Driverside front axle leaking-front-axle.jpg   Driverside front axle leaking-front-axle-close.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

bump, any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

TTT, I'm having the same issue, and I'm assuming it's a outer axle seal... now I just need to locate one locally.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacal View Post
I'm assuming it's a outer axle seal
There really isn't an outer axle seal. The outer seal is a "dust seal" to keep junk out of the axle tube. These seals fail fairly soon after replacement and leave the "hula-hoop" on the axle shaft.
The seal that failed if your seeing diff fluid leaking out of the axle tube is inside the housing close to the differential.
In the meantime, to ensure you don't cook your differential bearings, keep a very close eye on the front diff oil level.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Had mine leak really bad last year. Took it to dealer cause I was out of town got it back both now leaked oil and was everywhere after a 500mile trip. Still had enough fluid in there I would check it but I wouldn't stress over it. AND yes it is your axle shaft seal there is no outer seal just a dust shield on the outside of the axle tube. Its really not a bad job to do yourself if you know your way around a truck. I wouldn't do it if you don't do much work yourself. You have to pull the wheel bearing hub off (4 bolts and some muscle or a puller) to get the axle shafts out and then remove your carrier assembly(also only 4 bolts) inside the housing cause the seal is put in from the inside. Make sure you torque it to spec and not hulk this stuff. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.