Oil Cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler

I did as much research as I could. Is it possible to check your oil cooler without a guage that reads ect and eot for comparison? I have all the mods in my sig but I am just learning about the oil cooler issue. So I am trynig to stay ahead of the issue. What happens when it completely fails? I have read and heard a lot about Elite Diesel's package but 2k is a lot to spend when my truck runs great. Anyway, Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Carbon huffing animal

I'm pretty sure it must be done through ECM. There is also updated tuning for the 05 - 07 where the computer will monitor for a 20 difference, and respond accordingly. The lead tech at my shop told me about it, I just don't remember what respond accordingly was. Limp mode or something else, IDK. Nonetheless, I do it through the ECM, and you can do so for $160 with ScanGauge II. ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 AM
information regurgitator

Yep, the easiest way to accomplish monitoring the oil temp and coolant temp is with the electronic monitors that connect to the OBD port.
Scangauge2 can monitor a bunch of stuff that can come in handy with troubleshooting, should you have an issue. Fairly cheap too.

You would monitor the EOT/ECT for the temperature differential (AKA: delta) between them. Typical test is to get the engine up to normal operating temp (ECT 190F give or take a few degrees). Then hit the highway, set the cruise for 65MPH, after running it for about 10 to 15 minutes on a relatively flat section of highway, you would note the delta. If this delta was to be 15F, this points to a plugged oil cooler. The plugged oil cooler slows the coolant flow to the EGR cooler. The slower moving coolant will cause the egr cooler to overheat, and eventually it will fail internally.
The leaking coolant from a failed egr cooler can result in popped head gaskets.
The leaking coolant takes one of two paths, depending on the circumstances. If the truck is running, coolant would be forced towards the front of the cooler, up against your EGR valve. Once that valve opens, your engine takes a big gulp of coolant into the cylinders. The coolant will turn into steam, raising cylinder pressures beyond what the crappy head bolts (the TTY variety) can withstand. This allows the heads to lift and...there goes your head gasket.
If the truck is off, the coolant will flow into the exhaust manifold on the oassenger side. The coolant will flow into whatever cylinder happens to have the exhaust valves open, and when you go to crank it, this can result in hydrolocking.
Also, while your truck is running, and the egr valve is closed, the coolant is flowing out of the exhaust. It enters the up-pipe previous to the turbo. The coolant mixes with the soot in your turbo and creates a gunk that will effect the free movement of your turbo vanes. Underboost and overboosting can occur.

There are instances where the oil cooler fails. This will dump oil into your cooling system, which would need to be flushed out post repair.

The flash that will monitors the ECT/EOT delta sets the P012F code when the computer detects a 15F delta. (I believe this flash was for 06 and up trucks, but I might be wrong)

Last edited by NYC F-350; 07-26-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE=Nemesis17;2593803]I did as much research as I could. Is it possible to check your oil cooler without a guage that reads ect and eot for comparison? I have all the mods in my sig but I am just learning about the oil cooler issue. So I am trynig to stay ahead of the issue. What happens when it completely fails? I have read and heard a lot about Elite Diesel's package but 2k is a lot to spend when my truck runs great. Anyway, Thanks for the help

Whats the kit from Elite? Is it an oil cooler or something else?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM
information regurgitator

Oil cooler. For the short money that it would cost extra to get the bulletproof one, the elite diesel one seems like a waste of money.
<CLICK ME to check it out>

EDIT: I checked this one out previous to buying the BPD system. The engineering leaves alot to be desired when compared to the BPD one.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

ok just went to elites and looked at the one pic of the oil cooler... Really? Is that trans cooler suppost to cool engine oil or trans fluid? Its more than the BulletProof oil cooler system and they reuse the old oil cooler housing, so all the filtering problems are still there. I think the BPD oil cooler system is 1900 and that eliminates the oil cooler housing and the junk oil filter system Ford put on the truck. Less money for a better product? Sorry to rant, but that doesnt look like something id put on my truck
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM
information regurgitator

And that is why those in the know get the BPD system. Those of us that see cold weather, of course, would need the cold weather package that would raise the price of the system to $2245. Like I said, for the little extra cash you spend, you get a FAR superior product. No comparison.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Unfortunately for me, the cold weather package was not available at time of purchasing my oil cooler package, as it was still in developmental stages according to Neal.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringMadness View Post
Unfortunately for me, the cold weather package was not available at time of purchasing my oil cooler package, as it was still in developmental stages according to Neal.
Hey Six String did you ever get the cold weather kit? How long ago did you guy the kit? Send me a PM and I might be able to help get you taken care of.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I do like Elites idea of an electric fan as that would be better suited for me when towing in equipment a low speed on the deer trails I have to drive on. So I wish BPD would add that option. I added my own fan to the stock trans cooler as my temperature would climb under the same conditions. I was surprised how much difference it made. Sure, if you only tow on the highway then then electric fans aren't needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.