Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Cooler

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  autonoz 
#1 ·
I did as much research as I could. Is it possible to check your oil cooler without a guage that reads ect and eot for comparison? I have all the mods in my sig but I am just learning about the oil cooler issue. So I am trynig to stay ahead of the issue. What happens when it completely fails? I have read and heard a lot about Elite Diesel's package but 2k is a lot to spend when my truck runs great. Anyway, Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure it must be done through ECM. There is also updated tuning for the 05 - 07 where the computer will monitor for a 20° difference, and respond accordingly. The lead tech at my shop told me about it, I just don't remember what respond accordingly was. Limp mode or something else, IDK. Nonetheless, I do it through the ECM, and you can do so for $160 with ScanGauge II. ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

#3 · (Edited)
Yep, the easiest way to accomplish monitoring the oil temp and coolant temp is with the electronic monitors that connect to the OBD port.
Scangauge2 can monitor a bunch of stuff that can come in handy with troubleshooting, should you have an issue. Fairly cheap too.

You would monitor the EOT/ECT for the temperature differential (AKA: delta) between them. Typical test is to get the engine up to normal operating temp (ECT 190°F give or take a few degrees). Then hit the highway, set the cruise for 65MPH, after running it for about 10 to 15 minutes on a relatively flat section of highway, you would note the delta. If this delta was to be 15°F, this points to a plugged oil cooler. The plugged oil cooler slows the coolant flow to the EGR cooler. The slower moving coolant will cause the egr cooler to overheat, and eventually it will fail internally.
The leaking coolant from a failed egr cooler can result in popped head gaskets.
The leaking coolant takes one of two paths, depending on the circumstances. If the truck is running, coolant would be forced towards the front of the cooler, up against your EGR valve. Once that valve opens, your engine takes a big gulp of coolant into the cylinders. The coolant will turn into steam, raising cylinder pressures beyond what the crappy head bolts (the TTY variety) can withstand. This allows the heads to lift and...there goes your head gasket.
If the truck is off, the coolant will flow into the exhaust manifold on the oassenger side. The coolant will flow into whatever cylinder happens to have the exhaust valves open, and when you go to crank it, this can result in hydrolocking.
Also, while your truck is running, and the egr valve is closed, the coolant is flowing out of the exhaust. It enters the up-pipe previous to the turbo. The coolant mixes with the soot in your turbo and creates a gunk that will effect the free movement of your turbo vanes. Underboost and overboosting can occur.

There are instances where the oil cooler fails. This will dump oil into your cooling system, which would need to be flushed out post repair.

The flash that will monitors the ECT/EOT delta sets the P012F code when the computer detects a 15°F delta. (I believe this flash was for 06 and up trucks, but I might be wrong)

#4 ·
I did as much research as I could. Is it possible to check your oil cooler without a guage that reads ect and eot for comparison? I have all the mods in my sig but I am just learning about the oil cooler issue. So I am trynig to stay ahead of the issue. What happens when it completely fails? I have read and heard a lot about Elite Diesel's package but 2k is a lot to spend when my truck runs great. Anyway, Thanks for the help

Whats the kit from Elite? Is it an oil cooler or something else?

#5 ·
Oil cooler. For the short money that it would cost extra to get the bulletproof one, the elite diesel one seems like a waste of money.
<CLICK ME to check it out>

EDIT: I checked this one out previous to buying the BPD system. The engineering leaves alot to be desired when compared to the BPD one.

#6 ·
ok just went to elites and looked at the one pic of the oil cooler... Really? Is that trans cooler suppost to cool engine oil or trans fluid? Its more than the BulletProof oil cooler system and they reuse the old oil cooler housing, so all the filtering problems are still there. I think the BPD oil cooler system is 1900 and that eliminates the oil cooler housing and the junk oil filter system Ford put on the truck. Less money for a better product? Sorry to rant, but that doesnt look like something id put on my truck

#7 ·
And that is why those in the know get the BPD system. Those of us that see cold weather, of course, would need the cold weather package that would raise the price of the system to $2245. Like I said, for the little extra cash you spend, you get a FAR superior product. No comparison.

#9 ·
Hey Six String did you ever get the cold weather kit? How long ago did you guy the kit? Send me a PM and I might be able to help get you taken care of.

#10 ·
I do like Elites idea of an electric fan as that would be better suited for me when towing in equipment a low speed on the deer trails I have to drive on. So I wish BPD would add that option. I added my own fan to the stock trans cooler as my temperature would climb under the same conditions. I was surprised how much difference it made. Sure, if you only tow on the highway then then electric fans aren't needed.

#11 ·
You ever tried crossing Manhattan on a Sunday afternoon when it is 105°F with your AC on? Two hours of traffic that, when it moved, it moved at less than 5MPH. I just did this last Sunday. Oil temp never went above 210°F. I have the cold weather package but doubt that it made a difference. Though I was not towing anything.
The placement of the oil cooler with the BPD uses the stock fan to pull air through it since it is attached to the AC condenser. I could pop it into neutral and those oil temps dropped.

#12 ·
NYC I would go postal if I had to drive that everyday. The only time I could hear my trans cooler fan turn on is when I was on the deer trail with 9,000 pounds of equipment I'm trying to drag up the mountain side. I'm working on training the trillion mosquitoes we have to help push my truck up the real steep spots.

#14 ·
NYC I would go postal if I had to drive that everyday. The only time I could hear my trans cooler fan turn on is when I was on the deer trail with 9,000 pounds of equipment I'm trying to drag up the mountain side. I'm working on training the trillion mosquitoes we have to help push my truck up the real steep spots.
LMAO!!! :hehe: BTW, I couldn't handle that kind of traffic either. That would drive me INSANE... Wait! Maybe that's my problem; I'm already there!!! :doh:

#16 ·
Hi I am new to this site I have a 03 f350 with the 6.0 I have a new oil cooler and a egr block off. I am running about 30degrees diffrent on temps. I was wondering how hot is to hot in St. louis it is a 100degrees and at 65 my oil is any where from 220 to 240 it is always going up and down. My water runs 188 to 220 then comes back down and stays around 200. I also have a new clutch fan I just put on last week it still don't seem like it kicks in like my 04 truck did does any one have any thoughts thanks

#19 ·
My oil cooler is 6months old. The old oil cooler blew I had oil in my coolant. I flushed the complete cooling system replaced all hoses and new thermostat. We flushed it with a cleaner. We used about 60 gallons of water with cleaner. The truck was doing good and now it has the temp problems again. I have 8new injectors, new ficm, stage 0ne turbo 5inch exhaust from turbo back and a bullydog gt performer. Also when I put my foot in it I can smell coolant but I have tested with pressure tester and it never drops it hold pressure I wonder I my block off is leaking or starting to lose a head gasket.

#22 ·
If your puking coolant, and do not have an egr cooler on the truck, it is a good chance the head gaskets are toast. Your previous issue that resulted in the oil cooler exploding likely contributed to this if they were not gone at the time of the repair.

#24 ·
I have about 15,000 miles on the cooler. I did not use the ford coolant. I can pressure it to 14 psi and it holds. I have not tried it while driving. Do u think I can get away with back flushing the cooler. I still have the egr cooler I just have a block off plate. I don't use alot of coolant. I just drove 1700miles this last weekend and didn't even use a half of gallon but If I put my foot in it I smell coolant.

#25 ·
It definitely sounds like your oil cooler is blocked again, I don't know enough about the flushing process as I did away with my OEM oil cooler, so I cannot speak to the flush, but if you have your same EGR cooler with simply a blocking plate, and your oil cooler is blocked again, you may still have coolant leaking in the EGR cooler. Where its going, burping/puking, boiling off, to get in the cab I cannot say.

Pressure test it while driving. It's the best test for determining a coolant issue, like determining if you have a head lifting under boost and pressurizing the coolant system beyond 14 psi. If under heavy throttle, your pressure quickly spikes past 14 psi to 20+ and drops, you have a HG issue. If it's gradual, you've got an EGR condition boiling coolant (or equivalent condition), and creating gasses in the coolant system.

Bottom line, if you have a 20° difference in oil to coolant temps, you have a problem, and nearly every time it begins with the oil cooler, but may end with head gaskets or beyond. You should seriously consider a full EGR delete, or BPD delete as opposed to a plate with OEM EGR cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.