Still getting tea kettle whistle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still getting tea kettle whistle

So I had a dealership put in my EGR and oil cooler delete but I'm still getting the tea kettle sound between 1500 and 2000 rpm on light throttle. Any ideas of what else would cause it? The sound is driving me and more importantly my wife nuts, she doesn't even want to ride with me anymore haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The sound cold be a bad degass tank cap, leaking turbo/ CAC boots, up pipe leaking. What else have you checked?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've checked the pipes from the intake to the turbo and even traced my exhaust all the way back because i'm desperate to find it. I haven't even thought about the Degas cap i'm going to try that first thing in the morning
Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Does it make thi sound all the time? If it does it cold then I am not sure about the de-gas cap. Some times the CAC boots will get a very small oil rot induced crack and you won't find it untill you remove the boot, clean it up and look it over. Was it making this noise before the work was done to it? Sometimes the flex joint in the up pipe gives it up when moving it around to get the turbo back together.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No it only started making the noise when I got it back and it only makes the noise at full operating temp. I will try the degas cap first and if no luck then i'll look at the CAC boots. At first I thought it was related to the over boosting issue i'm having (turbo fart?) but researching it looks like I have two different issues
Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got a new Degassing cap checked for of the cac boots and nothing. I have new heads as of 2 months ago also, anyone have any ideas what else it could possibly be? The whistle is almost ear piercing now.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Can you localize it at all? Sometimes a mechanics stethoscope can help with that. Do you think it is air escaping or could it be something mechanical rubbing something else? It only does it when its warm, correct? Is the truck loosing water at all? If you remove the cap from the de-gass tank do you still hear the noise? If the noise goes away then it’s a cooling system issue, if not look else ware. Is there any signs of steam in the degas tank?
I am thinking if it was the turbo or exhaust it would do it hot or cold. With no cap on the degas tank it won’t build pressure and maybe you are hearing pressure escaping from someplace it shouldn’t be, like the head gasket seal.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's hard to tell because it won't do it unless I'm at a steady speed usually about 45 I know that sounds odd but from what I can tell the driver's side.yeah only when it's warm and it hasn't lost any water since they did all the work on it. I'll try taking the cap off tomorrow, if that doesn't work then I'll take it back because I still have factory warranty
Old 07-26-2011, 04:29 AM

I have the same problem. My truck just went in for head gasket. Sound almost sounded like it came from instrument panel. I think it was coolant pushing out from coolant cap. White residue in engine compartment. Bad head gasket was pressurizing tank. Check for residue. I get it back this week. If sound is gone I will let u know. Good luck. The sound was almost like a tuning fork ring. Faded in and faded out.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Its either the degas cap or an exhaust leak somewhere.

Check all your pipes.

Check your IC boots as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.