help...weird problem after hpop and egr repair - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help...weird problem after hpop and egr repair

****EDITED******

Truck has run flawlessly up until this repair.

I was experiencing no start when hot problems. The EGR cooler was also slightly leaking.

I have an experienced diesel mechanic doing the work. He has worked on 6.0's extensively and he is now stumped. He has performed these specific repairs many times, so it isn't like he's digging into new territory.

The cause of the no start when warm issue was the dummy plugs and stand pipe O rings. They have been replaced. The STC fitting was not leaking at all, but a new oil cooler with the updated fitting has been installed. He also removed and cleaned the injectors, replaced with new O rings. Deleted the EGR as well as cleaning the intake.

Once reassembled the truck wouldn't start.

Diagnosis pointed to the HPOP. HPOP was replaced.

Tried to crank again. Got the truck running. After roughly 20 minutes the truck died when he tried to up the idle.

Diagnosis says the IPR was not functioning properly. Replaced the IPR.

Got the truck cranked again, she's running beautifuly. After 45 minutes she shuts off on her own.

Codes P2614/P2617 popped up. Apparently that isn't uncommon after a stall....

She will not start at all.

Since then I've been going up to the shop trying to see if I can somehow figure out how to help.

FICM is fine. IPR is fine. Put shop air onto HPO system to see if there was another leak. Not a single bit of air can be heard, ramped up the IPR and still no air. System should be fine.

ICP is reading no pressure (i think I'm wording that right).

WHEN TURNING THE KEY ON, THE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE READS MID WAYS....... This seems odd to me....

Other than checking the PCM harness, I and the mechanic are stumped. He has calls into friends that work at the local dealership hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

Any of the Master Techs/Experienced guys care to chime in? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Splashdance; 07-23-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: clarified.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow, sounds like you have addressed all of the 6.0 weakpoints. I am in a similar situation, let's hear from the 6.0 yoda's..
Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A while back in the winter I remote started my truck and about 5 minutes later it died and would not restart. The dealer found some fried $30 relay was the problem. I have no idea what relay so I hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also getting TCB FAULT on message center on dash while trying to crank...

I know that is for trailer brake controller, not sure why it's coming up though?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look for a blown fuse, for some reason #22 sticks in my head. Did you replace the IPR ? are you getting power to the IPR and 5 volts to the ICP sensor? What did the IPR screen look like.

From time to time the Exhaust back pressure sensors ( EBP) have history of failing and taking out PCM communication and causing weird problems too.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will check fuses and ebp! Thanks for responding!

Ipr is new. The screen on the old one is fine. Icp has 5 volts, but will double check again.

With KOEO the oil pressure gauge is reading in the middle...does that seem odd?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It also seems odd to me that it ran like a top for 45 minutes, then just shut down...and wont build up the the 500 psi she needs to fire off.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

That does seem odd, sounds like the EOP sending unit is grounded out, or the wire coming from it is. The engine oil pressure on these trucks is not a variable reading sensor. It's an on/off switch. As soon as it builds I think it's 7 psi, the EOP switch closes and your oil pressure gauge moves to middle. So something is goofy there, but shouldn't be directly tied into the no start issue. The PCM doesn't really even use the engine oil pressure.

Seeing as it's goofing up though makes me think it's more of an electrical issue, especially with the TBC fault issue. I've seen it throw a TBC fault in the dash, and it's usually from a low voltage issue.

Try this. Disconnect the IPR and rig up jumper wires. Jump the IPR with 12v hot and ground. Don't leave voltage on it for more then a minute or you may damage the IPR. Moniter ICP pressure and crank the engine. Be careful, it might start. If it builds ICP pressure by jumping the IPR then the high pressure oil system is probably fine. That points you more to an electrical/PCM/wiring issue. If it doesn't show any ICP pressure then I would be looking at the high pressure oil system, again.

Really you should have a manual gauge on the high pressure oil system when you do this, but not everyone has that setup. You need some high pressure hose and a gauge. Normally you can just use the ICP PID to moniter it, but if you have something wacky going on electrically then this might not be accurate.

See what happens when you do that though.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashdance View Post
It also seems odd to me that it ran like a top for 45 minutes, then just shut down...and wont build up the the 500 psi she needs to fire off.
Is it building any ICP pressure? Does it slowly build up some psi, just not to 500? Or does it just read 0 the whole time you're cranking it?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Disconnect the EOP switch. With your DVOM, what is the resistance between the cavity of that connector and battery ground? It SHOULD be OL. If you get any other reading other than this, it is shorted out somewhere.

When air testing the high pressure oil system, is a change in rushing noise heard as IPR duty cycle is ramped up from 14.84% to 97.66% (indicating the IPR is functioning)? For what it's worth the IPR default, at key-on/engine-off is 14.84% where high pressure oil is exhausted to the sump.

What is your ICP volts indicating at key-on/engine-off? It should be between 0.15 to 0.35 volts (but usually indicates 0.24 volts).

Does FICM_SYNC and SYNC switch from NO to YES when you crank the engine over?

What readings do you get while cranking the engine over for: ICP desired, ICP volts, ICP actual and IPR duty cycle?

TBC fault message displays USUALLY indicate low system voltage caused by excessive engine cranking over.

For what it's worth, if diagnosis determines a problem with the main engine harness, it would be far from the first one ever being replaced. The part number for a 2005 engine is 5C3Z-12B637-AA and 2006/2007 engines use 5C3Z-12B637-BA if I recall correctly.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.