Newbie with DTC Codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Newbie with DTC Codes

Hi everyone! the newbie is back with some questions whenever someone has time to reply. After purchasing my Edge CTS, I have monitored vitals and codes for about three weeks. The following codes are being displayed: P0272, P0275 and P0401. The only "code" book I have located does not have these codes listed. There seems to be an exhaust leak from under the hood...you can smell it through the vents while sitting at a redlight and when you turn the engine off and step outside the cab. I have removed the EGR valve, cleaned replaced all seals and gaskets.

The truck is a 03 F250 CC LB with 101850 miles. I'm preparing to do a coolant flush, update the EGR cooler and rebuild the oil cooler, and have the turbo cleaned.

Sorry to be lengthy...just trying to provided needed information.

Thanks everyone...this is an awsome forum by the way...you guys are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.0L Bible Table of Contents

Look for DTCs on about page 94
Old 07-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks Ham! I probably don't know what I'm looking at, but don't see these specific codes. This is the first chart I reviewd today, but didn't see the codes listed.

Thanks much!

Steve
Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM

All...I found a Edge Ford DTC code listing on the forum. Here are the code definitions based on this listing: P0272 = Cylinder #4 Balance Fault; P0275 = Cylinder #5 Balance Fault; P0401 = EGR Flow Insufficient Detected.

I have no idea what all of this means...if anything. Any help/guidance certianly is appreciated.

Thanks all!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The p0272 and p0275 codes indicate that the computer has detected a miss on cylinders #4 and #5. Do you feel it missing at all? Especially during cold starts? Clear them out and see if they come back. If they do then you need to investigate the injectors.

The p0401 is for low EGR flow. I wouldn't be to worried with this one, unless you have performance issues of some sort. It's saying the PCM is not detecting enough EGR flow, which shouldn't affect performance. More of an emmisions related code. I'd delete the EGR cooler at some point anyway.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the response! I don't think there is a problem with any cylinders missing, or it dosn't feel or sound as though there is. I will clear the codes and see if they come back. I recently cleaned the EGR valve and it appeared as though the intake had quite a collection of soot. When I have the oil cooler and EGR cooler worked done, I plan to have the intake clean as well.

So...it is a posiibility that the injectors on thoses two cylinders are failing!!!

Thanks much for your assistance.

Steve
Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It is possible, but clear the codes and see if they come back. Could have been old logged codes, depending on when the last time you had them cleared.

What are you doing to the EGR cooler and oil cooler? Have you monitered EOT vs ECT temps? Are you having an issue there? The 03 style round EGR coolers are very problem free. Only reason I would mess with them is to do a delete. Other then that I'd let it eat.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM

I purchase the truck in FL about 7 weeks ago. Ford has no history niether did the dealer...have been succeful in contacting the previuos owner (name on last title).

I bought the edge cts gage shortly after signing onto this forum...cleared all codes after 1st week of install. I'm not sure if these specific codes were listed or not at that time.

My thought was to replace the EGR cooler with the updated version as a preventive measure when I had the oil cooler replaced...after I complete the flush will probably have to. If I can get Ford or where I carry it to do the delete that's what I will do.

The EOT and ECT delta (w/o tow) usually spans from 6-14 degrees...usually higher when in slow traffic...dosn't exceed 15 degress though. Not sure if these delta's are good or not. I'm new to turbo diesels and very little knowledge of just plain diesels. When I returned from FL I towed my 5th back, of course didn't have gages.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Highroller View Post
So...it is a posiibility that the injectors on thoses two cylinders are failing!!!

Thanks much for your assistance.

Steve
Don't panic just yet. I would make sure your FICM voltage is ok and if it is and the codes keep returning try some REV-X first.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Thanks guy's! The FICM seems good...cranks at 48v and runs at 47.5v to 48v. Yes I'm going to purchase some Rev-X this weekend and give it a dose...see how that works out.

Guy's I really appreciate all of the sound advice!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.