HPOP oil pressure vs. LPOP oil pressure... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP oil pressure vs. LPOP oil pressure...

Hello people!

'05 F250 6.0 PSD:

1) Is the oil pressure gauge on dash monitoring lubrication circuit's oil pressure (LPOP), or is it monitoring fuel system's oil pressure (HPOP)?

2) Is "LOW OIL PRESSURE" warning all about lubrication circuit, or is it about high pressure circuit, or maybe either?

3) Is it possible for IPR to fail due to a very simple problem like easy removing dirt or not so important foreign object?
Does it woth it (in applicable cases) to try to fix a stucked IPR only by cleaning the part or removing some not catastrophic obstruction, or every time it gets stuck means replacing the part? (It is not cheap).
How bad or agressive does an obstruction needs to be in order to damage IPR's integrity?
Can the solenoid coil be damaged (overheat, open circuit) when an obstruction doesn't let the valve section move?

All hypothetical scenarios, just sharping my 365VGT knowledge, Thanks for sharing yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

The dash gauge is for the low pressure, lube circuit only, same with the light.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman78alfa View Post
Hello people!

'05 F250 6.0 PSD:

1) Is the oil pressure gauge on dash monitoring lubrication circuit's oil pressure (LPOP), or is it monitoring fuel system's oil pressure (HPOP)?

The dash gauge is controled by an open set of contacts on a pressure switch and is worthless for tell you anything other than there is a minimal amount of lube oil flowing ( low pressure oil)

2) Is "LOW OIL PRESSURE" warning all about lubrication circuit, or is it about high pressure circuit, or maybe either?

Low pressure lube oil only. A HP oil fault will result in a DTC for low ICP( injection control Pressure)

3) Is it possible for IPR to fail due to a very simple problem like easy removing dirt or not so important foreign object?

YES

Is it worth it (in applicable cases) to try to fix a stuck IPR only by cleaning the part or removing some not catastrophic obstruction, or every time it gets stuck means replacing the part? (It is not cheap).
In the industrial world we clean out hydraulic valves all the time. A rebuilt IPR is cleaned maybe new seals and a fresh screen. Sometimes only a screen is replaced. I would NEVER use a rebuilt IPR in someone else’s truck. However I might re-screen one and use it in my truck if I had reason to belive nothing got past the screen. AT 4000 psi anything that hits the screen is going to have a lot of impact force. This is all a judgment call on how much you want to take a chance on the reliability of the valve. I would say if your IPR was a time bomb waiting to go off that would be a bad thing. Theoretically you could flush an IPR and re-screen it. If none of the ports were clogged and the seals are OK it would be fine. The problem is 99% of the world doesn’t have the capability to verify the integrity of the valve before installing it. Troubleshooting time and Labor costs make replacing the IRP with a new product the most cost effective solution.

How bad or agressive does an obstruction needs to be in order to damage IPR's integrity?
Anything that gets past the screen can damage the sealing surfaces , clog the ports and destroy the valves functional capability

Can the solenoid coil be damaged (overheat, open circuit) when an obstruction doesn't let the valve section move?
The solenoid is duty cycle modulated in operation so by applying 12 volts to it you are effectively running it at 100% duty cycle. I would not put 12 volts to it for more than 30 sec at a time ,but some say 60 sec is still OK For testing and trouble shooting . I don’t think an obstruction by its self will harm the valve electrically

All hypothetical ( NO This is real world stuff ) scenarios, just sharping my 365VGT knowledge, Thanks for sharing yours!
Glad I could help.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-20-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.