Intake sucking air sound? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake sucking air sound?

So last night on my way home I noticed out of no where it sounds like my motor is sucking air like no other when at 10psi or above. Almost like after my buddy with a Cummins put an S&B intake on his truck... Seems to still be making boost... I had it to 25 this morning and it was going to town. I couldn't open it up any more as my turn was coming up fast. I have seen 29 before this... Are one of my intake boots coming apart? Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 AM
information regurgitator

Take a look at those boost boots. If they are crud covered they are telling you it is time to be replaced. (cleaning them will not help their longevity either)
That crud is actually oil from the crankcase vent that is installed just before the turbo. The boost boots are made of silicone, which just happens to degrade in the presence of oil.
So, that crud film is actually oil that has been blown through the boot from the inside, and dirt has stuck to that oil.

Typical spot for failure is where you can not see it, the boot at the turbo, on the underside. If one boot is gone, replace them all, since your looking at the domino effect, one goes bad and the rest are right behind it.

If the boots are ok, check that plastic pipe on the drivers side. Make sure the clamps are properly torqued and there isn't a split developing in the pipe somewhere.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 PM

So my local dealership only had the one from the turbo to the IC pipe boot. So I got that boot and took a really good look at the bottom one and it looks WAY better than the top one did. Took it all apart cleaned it the best I could and put it back together. Still making the sound and now I am blowing the IC pipe off the boot up by the turbo. So tomorrow I am going to try the hairspray and clean it better. What do you say when proper torque?
Any other ideas?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Even with new boots and clamps, I can't keep mine on without hairspray! My wife and kids thought I had lost my mind, when I robbed my wife's medicine cabinet, but it works! You can find boots and clamp kits on eBay at a pretty good price. There is an updated turbo outlet boot that is longer. It fit my truck much better.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 AM
information regurgitator

Try using acetone when cleaning the IC pipe, then clean the inside mating surface of the boot with it as well. Give it a few seconds to dry. That stuff will cut all the oil right out of the picture. I used that sticky stuff in a can you spray on gaskets to keep them in place while installing them. If you use that stuff, use it on one side of the connection only. It will be REAL difficult to get them apart and if it is on both sides of the same connection.......

Also, you are also describing the noise that a failing flex joint in the y-pipe makes. Take a gander at your firewall behind the y-pipe. If you see some soot stains, you might have found the problem.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've been using spray adhesive trim stick but only on the hot side metal tube connections lately. I leave the cac and turbo connections dry for easier removal, they don't seem to come off as much.

also once you blow a boot several times I recommend replacing it, believe me I still do this occassionally and it's not worth fighting, sometimes they just seem to blow for no ****ing reason (overboost will blow them too as well as a cac restriction).

as for the noise definitely check your up-pipe flexes and pre turbo connections like the egr up-pipe flange.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 PM

I don't think it is the Y-pipe as I don't see anything on or around them.... What I am seeing though is on the exhaust manifold where it connects to the head is what looks like fresh soot..... Looks like I am going to need exhaust manifold gaskets.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Yep!
My buddy was brave enough to get under the truck while I boosted it in gear... Sure enough getting a good amount coming out the driver side rear cylinder.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 AM
information regurgitator

If it isn't cracked, you can take it off and put a gasket in there.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Well..... Found my problem after replacing the top boot up by the turbo and spending 5-6 hours doing the exhaust manifold gaskets… It did need them though as I had soot almost around all the ports. We had a great time getting out one stud that decided to break… So anyways after that I took for a drive and it was still doing it. S***!!! So My buddy is looking around as I powerbrake it and felt some air and I thought it was the fan. Turns out it is the cold side of the intercooler tube. I am thinking it has gotten bigger as I didn’t see it before and my father in-law never noticed it when he took out the air intake to do the exhaust manifold gaskets.
So with that said which is the best way to go? I am having difficultly finding a new tube that doesn’t require the bigger intake elbow… Where can I find besides the ford dealership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.