Please Help Misses & Bucks is it FICM? Injectors? Bad fuel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help Misses & Bucks is it FICM? Injectors? Bad fuel?

So just wanted to hear some suggestions of what it could be and I have done some searching around on here. Here is what is going on and this just started on Friday right before my drive to LA.

Start truck in the morning or when cold and it idles just fine no miss, no smoke. When it idles up close to 2k rpm (only when it is around 2k rpm) it falls on its face and misses then a puff of smoke. It smells like unburnt fuel. Even when I let truck idle for maybe 5 to 10 min more (or when temp is warm) it still does the same thing. However; when its been running for a little longer everything is fine and runs like a top. The whole drive to LA was fine with no problems what so ever, even climbing the Grapevine it climbed it like champ love the the truck.
Next morning I start it up to go get some fuel it does the same thing, so I think maybe injectors are dirty so I get some additive and put it in the new fuel. Next morning start it up same thing as before with the missing. Drive it back to Northern California and no problems on the drive and was doing 85 most of the way. Start it this morning (after a new tank of fuel after the drive) and no misses or smoke ran great. Now I wont know if the problem is gone until tonight or tomorrow but if not what could it be? A failing FICM? bad Injector? or was it just bad fuel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Sorry man, we need some hard data for a problem like that. What kinds of mods, tunes, repair history, milage, DTCs etc… I have a 6.0 crystal ball and a WIFI 6.0 diagnostic magic 8 ball I could use ,but that would be of no use to you. Does your truck have an EGR valve and when is the last time you cleaned it. Ever cleaned the turbo? Have you check your FICM voltage? I’m not trying to be rude, but to help you we need more info. Might just be time for some REV-X
Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Mine does the same thing, I have a CTS and it stops surging around 175 degrees oil temp. Others that have had this problem point to either the egr valve and others had problems with stiction on the injectors and that rev x took the problem away after about 1000 miles after rev x, I know that's what I'm trying next rev x is cheaper than new injectors
Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
Sorry man, we need some hard data for a problem like that. What kinds of mods, tunes, repair history, milage, DTCs etc I have a 6.0 crystal ball and a WIFI 6.0 diagnostic magic 8 ball I could use ,but that would be of no use to you. Does your truck have an EGR valve and when is the last time you cleaned it. Ever cleaned the turbo? Have you check your FICM voltage? Im not trying to be rude, but to help you we need more info. Might just be time for some REV-X
The only mod to the engine is an AFE intake system everything else is stock no tunes, nothing. Stuck in California can't do much due to smog restrictions so I still have the EGR. Did an oasis report from Ford and found out that the only thing that was ever done to the truck was a passenger door adjustment. Always have done normal maintenance change oil every 5,000 to 7000 miles and the fuel filters every other oil change. The truck has 77,000 miles on it. Last year I did what Ford called a coolant flush and they cleaned my EGR as well. I don't believe that the turbo has ever been cleaned to my knowledge and I have owned the truck since 19000 miles. I am planning on checking the FICM, tomorrow my friend has a shop and a computer so we were going to see what codes come up and what my voltage is now. I tested it a year and a half ago when my battery died to see if it was damaged but was fine did 48v. I don't have any extra gauges then what is in the stock dash and this is my first real problem with the truck other then a little oil around my oil pan gasket. Anything else you can think of let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner21 View Post
Mine does the same thing, I have a CTS and it stops surging around 175 degrees oil temp. Others that have had this problem point to either the egr valve and others had problems with stiction on the injectors and that rev x took the problem away after about 1000 miles after rev x, I know that's what I'm trying next rev x is cheaper than new injectors
Yeah I have looked into Rev x and I would for sure try that before going out for new injectors. What are the impacts of driving the truck when its acting like this?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Honestly I don't know mine only surges if I go above 50mph so until warm I won't go faster than that
Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 PM

Check FICM voltage when cold, cranking and running. If its less than 48 volts FICM bad. If FICM check out then order some rev-X.

CHECK OUT THE LINK BELOW

6.0 Repair Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Put the scan tool to the truck and it gave all 8 cylinders low injector voltage but FICM pulls 48v ingnition on, 48v cranking, 27v running. Any ideas
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you typed that right, and your FICM voltage is 27 volts while running, I'd say you just found a key contributor to your problem
Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Its to bad my warranty was up last year but I have read that somethings on the truck are still covered under the "Emissions Warranty" and being here in California they are very strict about emissions. Does anybody know if the FICM is covered under this or how I could find out what is covered?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check swamps for 58v ficm yours is bad and I would not run it at 27v for fear of fuel injector failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.