2005--Done? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 white smoke and oil coming out of exhaust

I had all my injectors replaced 2 months ago. Last Friday I pulled in to get a quick bite to eat after driving about 1 1/2 hours. When I started my truck back up white smoke poured out of the exhaust. I popped the hood and noticed my coolant was low so I added coolant and began to drive home. Started my truck the next day and white smoke (no turbo came on) and what seemed to be a black oil fluid poured out of the exhaust. I checked my oil and the level was fine but it smelled like diesel. Any suggestions

Last edited by Bobby250; 07-18-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ouch, this sounds like a cracked head ( expensive ) or an injector sleeve problem (cheap)

STOP trying to start it as this is a great recipe for a hydro-lock engine and valve train damage.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Carbon huffing animal

cracked EGR cooler. You are dumping coolant into the exhaust through your EGR cooler. The "black oil" leaking out of the back of you muffler, is coolant mixed with soot.

These are the exact symptoms of my EGR cooler failure.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks!!! i want to do an egr delete any ideas of a good brand??
Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

oh and i also pulled out the dipstick and it looks high and smells like diesel?????
Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Do you live in a state that requires emissions testing?

Whats your budget for parts?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Carbon huffing animal

If you live in a state that requires emission testing, I would put a BulletProofDiesel EGR cooler in, if not then their EGR delete.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby250 View Post
oh and i also pulled out the dipstick and it looks high and smells like diesel?????
You can pull the egr valve and look in the Manifold to see if it’s wet or look steam cleaned to check the EGR cooler. This still sounds like an injector sleeve or head problem. That’s the only place oil, fuel and coolant are so close to each other. Did they do an oil change when they replaced your injectors? If not that could be the cause of the fuel in the oil. This could also be 2 different problems. Remove the EGR and park downhill over night or raise the rear of the truck if you can. In the morning look into the EGR valve hole and if you see any wetness at all you need an EGR cooler. IF not then you need to be looking elseware and quickly. In any case that oil need to come out of the truck ASAP. Why did you get all 8 injector in the first place?

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i emptied all liquids out of my truck hours after the liquid came out of the exhaust. I was driving it with a lil white smoke on cold engine and it running like crap cold so i took it into ford and they said i had 6 "bad injectors" and so i got all 8 replaced. they said they did an oil change when i got them replaced but i also had to take it back in many times after for throttle sticking making the turbo whine out to 40+ psi (high pressure oil pump they said)then for a loud air escaping vaccume noise (didnt clamp the turbo tube behind the engine correctly). should i egr delete anyway??
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM

I wouldn’t make any mods yet. If this problem is related to the Injector replacement then Ford will give you a hard time about making ir right if you do any mods before this is resolved.

More to your point Yes, you should get and EGR delete if you can some time. I am always concerned when someone says they replaced all of their injectors. Injectors don’t die they get killed. I am betting all 6 injectors were NOT bad. If they were bad you have an underlying problem with oil maintenance or low fuel pressure. Did anyone ever check the FICM output voltage on this truck? 40 lbs of boost is a great way to damage the head gasket seal as well. If you are leaking fuel into the oil supply then you have a problem with one or more injectors, heads, injector sleeve. What is your truck status now?

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-23-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.