FICM Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Question

Hi guys I need some answers that I didnt find by searching. i recently started having rough starts. It would stumble some then run good. Well yesterday it stumbled, puffed lots of black smoke and died several times. I had to leave it and go to work. When I returned I put the stock tune back on and after some stumbling it ran fine. I suspected the FICM because I had a low injector voltage CEL code. I took it to the Ford house and sure enough they said bad FICM. Here is the question: is the FICM covered under any warranty? They told it was but expired at 70000 miles. I have 79000. Everything I read said it was covered under the 5/100000. Does anyone know for sure if it should still be covered? It's getting replaced but I really would like to go in armed with info so I dont have to shell out the $1200! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

First off, Ford has actively avoided warrantying FICMs. Some dealers would cover it, most wouldn't. Being that it's 2011 and judging by your username the truck is a 2006, you'd be out of warranty anyway just on the date.

That aside, if the dealer charges you $1200 to replace the FICM, tell them to stick it up their tush and go somewhere else. A BRAND NEW FICM is only $600-$650 and can be installed with simple hand tools. Better yet, pull your FICM and send it to Swamp's Diesel They can rebuild it for about half that price. Up to you on that.

Take care.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yeah, just get a new 58V FICM w/ the performance flash, install it yourself, and be done with it for half of what Ford wants.

You will not only spend less money, you'll learn a little more about your truck, you'll also get a higher quality FICM that is 58V instead of 48V, and you'll get a noticeable increase in power and MPG from the performance flash.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Rob, in regards to the FICM, I would not recommend going with a Ford OEM FICM. I don't know this from personal experience, but there are many who believe doing so, is only setting yourself up for the same problem later. The Ford OEM FICM's are just weak for some reason. As the other posters have suggested, and I can vouch for from my own experience, the Swamps 58v FICM is the way to go. I had a failing FICM and replaced it with the Swamps 58v FICM (did not get the performance flash), and results are very positive thus far. Throttle response is noticeable improved, and most importantly, my FICM voltage is a constant between 47 - 48.5 volts. If you get it without the tune it will cost around $825, of which $350 is refunded once you return your flawed core. If you get the tune, it's another $150. So, if you go this route, your out at most $625 with tune, or $475 without (if my math is right). I live in MD and shipping was $15.

Go with Swamps - they have a good track record for their FICM units, and customer service for me was superb. Going with the dealer for this repair just doesn't make sense, financially or otherwise.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Without a doubt get a 58v upgraded FICM. It is simple to replace. Move the degass bottle aside for more room, take out the 4 bolts holding the FICM to the driver valve cover, unplug the wiring harness.

To put it back reverse above. You can have a much better solution for $400-$500. Don't overlook Quick Tricks as a source for the FICM too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.