Swamps 58v FICM fixed my issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Swamps 58v FICM fixed my issue

My lo FICM voltage readings are no longer an issue, thanks to the Swamps 58v FICM I installed last night. Couple observations:

1) Maybe its just me, but there is now a new pep in the truck when on the acceleration, moderately, and more noticeable when I mash it.

2) Removal of the old FICM and installation of the new one - not difficult in theory, just more of a pain in the @ss awkward with the location of the unit and then trying to un-seat and re-seat the plugs into the FICM. That I would say was my biggest struggle.

3) I recall reading somewhere on this forum that the Edge Insight has a max reading for the FICM voltage parameter, don't recall what this is, but my understanding was for those with the 58v FICM, it would never show 58v. I now see a consistent range of 47 - 48 from the time I KOEO, to the time I shut down. My question is, with the 58v FICM, shouldn't I be seeing the highest possible reading that the Edge Insight will show? I'm not complaining, more just curious on why I would ever see 47v, when I should be getting more than that?? What am I missing?

Thanks to all the forum members for their inputs and advice.

-Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Glad to hear it, Tom. I see up to 49V on my Insight CS with my stock (but resoldered) FICM. I would imagine you should see consistently 49V at the Insight, but 58V at the FICM. Sounds like you might want to call the guys at Swamps to confirm.

PS. A poorly performing FICM will cause all sorts of performance issues so even a 48V replacement will give you an improvement. Please keep us posted on what Swamps has to say.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:24 AM

OK, spoke to Swamps - they verified the readings I am seeing via my Edge Insight are in fact accurate, and, as the unit was programmed to relay to the "engine computer". If I were to take a volt meter and monitor directly at the FICM, I would see 58v. They said their 58v units were intentionally programmed to "show/relay" 47 - 48v due to a number of customers who complained that the P0611 code was still showing up after installation of their 58v unit - for clarity, the code was showing for "out of range FICM voltage ABOVE normal" vice "out of range FICM voltage BELOW normal". Evidently, this generated enough confusion to prompt the above solution.

I now feel better that my FICM is doing what it is suppose to. I do plan to verify via the volt meter test, but also have confidence in the reputation of their products and great customer service thus far.

Hopes this thread is useful to those considering this upgrade.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Good to hear.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

SWAMPS FICM are the Bomb

I recently replaced my FICM with the 58v and I can't believe the difference. I agree that it is a pain in the @ss to get the new one in but well worth the 5 minute struggle. My trucks runs like its brand new! I highly recommend these guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.