Please help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Please help!

Tommorrow i am going to replace the HPOP in my 2006 6.0 but i wanted to know if any one has a diagram on how to check the entire high pressure oil system. I know a person has to block off some port on one head then pressurize the other side but i just need to see some picture or something to figure out just exactly what the hell i am looking at in there if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM
information regurgitator

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...eTableBook.pdf
Download it, Read it, Understand it. More posts to come.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM
information regurgitator

To test the high pressure oil system, get the correct fitting for the ICP (injection control pressure) sensor hole, remove the sensor and pressurize the HPO (high pressure oil) system. The ICP is on the passenger side valve cover, near the alternator bracket, big sensor (and of course it is metric threads).

Then you have to get to the IPR (injection pressure regulator) and unplug the pigtail. Make your own pigtail and you want to apply 12 volts to one pin, and a ground to the other pin. When you command the IPR by applying voltage, do not do so for more than 60 seconds at a time, leaving 30 or so seconds between them. This allows the IPR to cool off.
The IPR is screwed into the side of the HPOP

Remove the oil fill cap and the dipstick, command the IPR and introduce the compressed air. Listen for obvious air leaks. By the way, another thing to be aware of is that when you release the IPR, it will dump the air into the crankcase and this is normal and not a HUGE leak.

If you hear a slight hiss coming form the HPOP (High pressure oil pump) area it is normal, however should you hear a loud hiss, this is not normal.
If you hear the hissing coming from the valve cover area, there are two likely culprits (and should be replaced as a set) and they are the dummy plugs and standpipes. Accessible by removing the valve covers.

If the noise is coming from under the HPOP cover, it is likely the STC fitting. The IPR would then have to come out of the HPOP, the HPOP cover comes off, remove the HPOP, remove STC fitting, install new fitting, reverse procedure and put it all back together.

The HPOP is located below and behind the turbo at the back of the engine. If you look back there you will see a hunk of aluminum that has a cast piece sticking out of it. The cast piece is the top of the HPOP, the sensor screwed into the side of the HPOP is the IPR.
It would be a whole lot easier if you got the turbo out of the way, and if you have to go in after the HPOP (or the fitting) you would have to remove the turbo anyway to gain access to the HPOP cover bolts.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
information regurgitator

What makes you think your problem is the HPOP and not just the "fitting from hell" that attaches it to the high pressure oil system?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck is havin problems starting when warm and I took it to a mechanic and a ford dealership and they both told me to change the hpop. But like you are saying if it is a damn fitting or busted o ring i will fix it while I'm in there. I jus had no clue how to check the system til now thanks by the way I'll post tommorrow what I find out when I get into it a little deeper

Last edited by latenights5020puller; 07-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 AM
information regurgitator

I'd lay $50 on the STC fitting.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK problem solved. I pressure tested the HPOP system and found that the two dummy plugs had o-rings almost cut in half. replaced them and standpipes in the head and presto runs like a top. thank you for all of your help.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Pay no attention to that post....
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
This is still a good idea to replace. The question is will it get replaced in the drive at home or on the side of the road? Your STC will fail at the least opportune time.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah you want to get that stc out of there as soon as possible.

how many miles on your truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, hpop leak test, hpop repair, i dont watch my thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.