6.0L Injector Problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Injector Problems?

So I brought my truck into the Ford Dealer this week for a hard starting problem. The truck would crank like crazy and only start when feathering the throttle. We tested the FICM and it was good, so we decided to have the dealer look at it, suspecting it was oil rail plugs. The dealer replaced the o-rings on the high pressure oil pump, as well as the oil rail plugs. He also replaced a fuel injection solenoid. (Not sure if anybody knows what this is?)
The total cost for all this was around $1400. However when they went to test drive the truck (with the SCT tunes removed and the truck flashed to stock) the vehicle broke down and had to be towed back. The dealer told me this problem was caused by the failure of ONE injector, which shut down the whole system and caused the truck to not run. Now it is going to cost an extra $400 to have this problem fixed. Does this make sense that one injector can shut the whole system down? Or are they trying to cover something else they may have messed up? I have never heard of this so i thought i'd ask. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I wish you had more info like the test results of the HPO system. It sounds more like something from the causing the problem. NO, I don't believe that one injector will shut a truck down. That's like saying the one ouled sparkplug will keep a car from running

Ask them what the ICP is, and IPR duty while cranking (since it won't start now). Was the truck warmed up during the test drive? I'm guessing dummy plugs or STC fitting on the HPOP, but more info is needed to better diagnosis the issue
Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I'm not sure what the results of that were. But from what they told me there is a safety feature or something on these trucks that shuts the entire system down if one injector fails.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:22 AM

I've nerver heard of that. Not that it can't be true, but....
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah that's what I said. My brother has an 03 and we are pretty sure it has a bad injector because of how it runs, but it still runs.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM

Sounds like they might be jerking you around . Second opinions are nice too
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Taking 1 cylinder out of a V8 will not cause it to stop running. Loosing HPO will cause it to stop running. Loosing a FICM will cause it to stop running.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like something was not diagnosed correctly. 6.0 is very expensive to guess and throw parts at.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Another observation - when they tested the FICM, was it via a volt meter or a monitor (like an Edge Insight for example), and, was it done when the vehicle was cold? I ask, b/c I have symptoms of a failing FICM. When the vehicle is warm it will read 48.5v consistently, however, when cold after start up, it will drop as low as 29.5v.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohman_stm View Post
Another observation - when they tested the FICM, was it via a volt meter or a monitor (like an Edge Insight for example), and, was it done when the vehicle was cold? I ask, b/c I have symptoms of a failing FICM. When the vehicle is warm it will read 48.5v consistently, however, when cold after start up, it will drop as low as 29.5v.
Your FICM is toast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.