Bad day. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad day.

So I've been driving cross country to my next duty station, all was going pretty well up untill today. Since yesterday my trucks been squeeking and its been buggin the hell out of me and I don't really know what it is.... When I get in, out of the truck, start it, cut it off, accelerate and brake, and go over bumps it squeeks! I know some minor squeeking is normal but this is bad! I think what caused it is going through Arkansas the roads we're pretty crappy and It must have done it. Anyways! on the road (Oklahoma) today there was a reckless driver swerving through the lanes and I sped up to pass him, got a speeding ticket while i was sitting in the cop car i saw my exhaust hanging down, my rear hanger broke, that was an easy fix at the next ford dealer. Finally got to Amarillo, went to dinner and picked up a cold 6 pack to relax, when I got back to the Motel 6 I was so worried about getting everything tucked away in the truck so I don't get robbed I locked my keys in my truck... Got that squared away with my insurance's road side assistance. But really the only thing bugging me is the squeeking!! Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I think its probably my worn out front suspension but I really don't know. Could it be work out motor mounts or something? I know its minimal information but any input would be extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd bet the farm that it's suspension related. More than like the front springs squeeking because your front shocks are so worn they're taking the bulk of the weight.

Get yourself a new set of Bilsteins on there (I think it's the 5100s) and that should fix it right up! That's the next thing going on my truck after the BPD EGR Delete and ELC Swap for me. Had a set of Bilsteins on my old Bronco (8" lift and all) and the difference was night and day compared to the old Ranchos I had.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Since your truck is a 2004, some things to look at would be the sway bar end links, sway bar bushings where they attach the bar to the axles, and believe it or not the little plastic pads that are sandwiched between the leafs in the spring packs at the end of the leaves. The sliding motion of the spring leafs wears through the pads eventually, and a squeaking sound develops because of metal on metal rubbing. Those plastic pads aren't available separately so you would need to make up a little disc from plastic sheet stock. The link below will point you towards what is involved in replacing the spring pads if they are in fact worn through.

2004 F250 Super Duty 4x4

I personally would look at these items before dropping money on shocks. Your signature doesn't say if the truck is lifted or leveled, but I'm pretty sure you can't put Bilstein 5100's on a stock height truck. Last time I checked Bilstein's fitment guide lists them only for lifted or leveled trucks.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks to both of you, I will go under there here shortly and see if its the pads you mentioned or not, I know the shocks have had a long run and that could very well be the cause. I plan on leveling the truck here very soon so I may hold out untill I do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.