cutting out at an idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cutting out at an idle

My brother in law also has an 03 6L like mine but his has been cutting out or hesitating for a split second only while at an idle. The cutting out seems to be random and stops as soon as you give it fuel. He had the egr deleted but stock otherwise. No codes showing. could it be the injectors starting to stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

how does it run other wise? Is there any diffrence hot or cold?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 AM

The motor runs just fine otherwise. Does not matter if it is hot or cold. He says sometimes it wont cut out at all.. he stopped by last night and i heard it. sounds like the motor hesitates or stops for a split second then just takes off again. i have an edge ordered for my truck and i will put it on his when i get it to see if it will have any explainations....

btw good to hear from another ham man!! 73's N0UXK
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Remove and reseat the connectors on the FICM and check the voltage wile running and cranking Keep us posted 73, DE N0NZG
Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Just got back in town from a fishing trip at Roaring River State Park with my brother in law and his family.... Bad news..... As we got there his truck was running so rough we actually had to drop his trailer and come back for it. We found a performance diesel shop (Roark Diesel Performance in Cassville Missouri). They diagnosed it as a faulty cam sensor. They ordered the sensor and overnighted it to them. Today (monday) they had the truck fixed and we came back. $163.00 total bill which i thought was very good.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Was that the problem? My truck is having the same issue when at idle quite often. Cuts out for a split second and you can feel it through the whole truck. And like you said, only at idle it does this.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With the engine running wiggle test the engine wiring harness starting in the FICM area.Push,pull,tug on the harness and see if you can duplicate the concern or make it stall.Ive had several with wiring chafes(shorts)caused by the intake manifold being removed and the studs being reinstalled in the wrong locations and the harness chafed against the tip of the stud,usually in the FICM area.Good Luck.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Sounds like your right.. ive been having this problem ever since i had my egr delete/oil cooler done. I should also mention that it also likes to break up a little bit at higher rpms under heavy throttle too.. almost acts like a gasser loosing spark
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am having the same issue right now. I am actually on a trip to Florida right now. I left Saturday morning and drove about 300 miles. I stop to get something to eat, the truck seemed like it lost power, and at a stop it was idling a little rough. After getting back on the road it ran fine at 70-75mph. I stoped a couple more times to see if it was still doing it. On one stop it was idling like crap the other wasn't to bad. I scanned several times with my scangauge and nothing came up. I decided to find a ford Dealer and pay the hundred dollar diag fee and see if they could figure it out. The ford dealer in gainsville Fl was the only one open on Saturday that had a diesel tech working. When I got off the interstate in gainsville it was running like total crap. The worst it had been all day. Sitting in traffic it was cutting out and surging. When I hit the gas it smoothed out and ran fine. The ford dealer was about 10 miles off the interstate, by the time I made there it had smoothed out and was running fine. They scanned it, drove with the scanner hooked to it and of course found nothing. No cranking issues, no smoke, no stumbling at idle. Nothing. So, I got back on the road and finished my trip, about another 100 miles. I drove it hard and could not duplicate the problem.

My question(s) are: if I program my scangauge to read the crankshaft sensor. And the crank/cam sync. What kinda numbers should I get? And how big of an *** pain is it to change this sensor?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry for hijacking this thread. My info seems relavent.
Update: after talking to a couple of sources I was leaning toward a high pressure oil leak. I was able to determine the camshaft sensor was leaking pretty good. I could not find an oil leak anywhere else. I pulled it, one of the o rings was blown out. Put a $6 o ring kit in and all seems fine. Also cleaned the egr valve. I took the truck on a 50 mile run and it did perfect. Icp psi looked good. Guess I'll fine out for sure when I head home in a few days.

Can't even go on vacation without having to worry about this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.